Do Metal Shavings in a Cylinder Indicate a Problem??

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Do Metal Shavings in a Cylinder Indicate a Problem??

Thanks in advance for any advice on this question. I'm looking at a Cobra in 38 special w/a shrouded ejector rod. It seems to be in excellent - possibly fired very little - condition. It locks up well, and as far as I can tell each cylinder lines up nicely in full lock up. But, in one cylinder there was a thin, curled shaving of metal. The mystery (to me) is where it came from, and why it got there. If this cylinder was out of time, could that create a metal shaving deposit? There was no visible damage to the edges of the cylinder that would support this theory. I also wondered if this might mean it was NEVER fired, but it would not make sense that the Colt factory would have left a metal shaving in the cylinder - this isn't a Taurus, after all. Does anyone think that this mystery shaving means anything in particular?
    The shop wants $500 plus tax...the blueing is near perfect, but for a rub spot on the barrel. Good deal? Overpriced? Help a brother out!

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8392 times
    The metal shaving was probably a bit of leading from shooting lead bullets.

Revolver cylinders and barrels often lead, especially if the ammunition is loaded with softer lead bullets.
    The shaving was probably just a bit of leading that flaked off and was left in the chamber.

Barring other evidence, such as the shaving was steel, I'd say that was it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, thanks, it does make sense that it was leading. The shaving was a similar color to the gun, so I was blindly assuming it was once a part of it.
    So how about the price? It feels a bit high to me, but the guy won't budge on his Colt revolvers...I tried!
    If down the road I need to get something like the hand replaced, does Colt still do that? Or do other gunsmiths have access to new parts?
    Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    It sounds like a good price for a LN shrouded Cobra...I'll gladly take one at that price.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSnakes View Post
    It sounds like a good price for a LN shrouded Cobra...I'll gladly take one at that price.
    Ok, that's good to hear. I've noticed some asking that much and more for them on gunbroker etc but wasn't sure if that was reflective of their real values. Unfortunately, "like new" might be a stretch - it's very clean, but has a significant rubbed off spot on the barrel and some kind of marring in the valley of one section of the "ratchet" that engages with the pawl or hand when the cylinder rotates - what I'm trying to figure out is if this would affect the gun mechanically in any way. The peaks of the ratchet all look good, it's just slighly chewed up in one of the valleys.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8392 times
    Colt still repairs the Cobra, but won't do any barrel changes due to possible frame cracking.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links