Cougar Revolver by Bill Davis
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cougar Revolver by Bill Davis

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    Bill Davis was a retired police armorer and a national PPCchampion, and the guns were built to take advantage of a rule situation in the national PPC competitions. Most cops then, me included could not afford a Python and S&W hadn't introduced the L Frame series yet. The Bull Barrel PPC guns were too expensive, more than Pythons so if you wanted a heavy bbl PPC gun or carry gun, Davis built them on a S&W frame or Ruger SS frame.

The advent of the Smith&Wesson 686/686 series killed the custom market, and took a heavy toll on the Python niche.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I think my cougar is rather handsome. One gunmaker or another should pick up the ball and run with it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...CN4781-1-1.jpg
    TheTinMan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    I think my cougar is rather handsome. One gunmaker or another should pick up the ball and run with it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...CN4781-1-1.jpg
    Handsome is good, gorgous would be even better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Bill Davis was a retired police armorer and a national PPCchampion, and the guns were built to take advantage of a rule situation in the national PPC competitions. Most cops then, me included could not afford a Python and S&W hadn't introduced the L Frame series yet. The Bull Barrel PPC guns were too expensive, more than Pythons so if you wanted a heavy bbl PPC gun or carry gun, Davis built them on a S&W frame or Ruger SS frame.

The advent of the Smith&Wesson 686/686 series killed the custom market, and took a heavy toll on the Python niche.
    Thanks Zeke. All must keep in mind that Pythons were not robbed of their barrels. The Python barrels were plentiful and purchased directly from Colt. My revolver is one of the first with the 150 serial number. My grips take up more space on the frame and really is hard to tell its not a Python. After looking at it for awhile, you do notice that there is something different about this revolver.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    I would have it...I think It is sweet looking! and original. It is like a chopper or a hotrod. bad ass. hey at least its not a Glock..........

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    I would take a Smython or Cougar any day of the week. Never heard of one that didn't shoot.

Spokanguns a recognized Smithy of good stature used to make Smythons then convert the Smith K frame to a 5 shot 44 Spl and bore the Python bbl to 44 dimensions. I remember visiting his shop in 1981 and he had just finished such a model $800.00 and it was all mine. I was a Deputy Sheriff on a medium sized Sheriff's Dept. and 800.00 bucks was completely out of the question.

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I understand the need for an inexpensive heavy barreled .38 as a PPC gun, but always wondered why people didn't just buy one of these weird looking things-almost like Colt invented the PPC gun in 1949! The Officers Model Special is one of the least successful Colts ever and they seemed to always be bargain priced.

Now, if someone just doesn't like the Colt V spring action, that's another story-got this one for well under $250 just a few years ago.

rock185 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by myhardtop View Post

Mr. Gunsmoke..............Come on now, tell us how you really feel. I'm sure the Netherlands had that type of ingenuity back in the early 70's when precision tournament shooting was real big. The python did not hold up as the internals were not as heavy duty as the Ruger. I own Colts and Smiths and this is the most well balanced and light triggered revolver I own. I shoot alot and get compliments on this butt ugly piece. After they shoot a cylinder, it is always...........How much will it take to buy this piece? This is a piece of history from the USA and I am very proud to own it. I wish I had this revolver in Vietnam to protect myself and others. Believe it or not, this revolver is wanted by all who shoot this piece of history. Try it you might like it.

Semper Fi to all of my brothers.......................
    Yep.
    Not going to argue for a single moment that you have a lot of very well funded arguments to favour any gun over a Python. Even when a Ruger comes along, or a Taurus, or an Astra.

But that's not my point.

I don't debate your statement that there are better guns out there then Pythons.

My fact is that the Cougar is butt-ugly. Period.

Defense rests, your honours.
    Who's the idiot that sold-off New-Amsterdam? I could have been reading this board in Dutch!

If guns are the cause of gunviolence, pens are responsible for writingerrors.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Its funny that this thread popped up a day after I was looking at a Security Six with a Python barrel and wondering WTF. Love Ruger's for what they are, I have one that is on my hip quite a lot but it's a Colt forum and we're debating the qualities of two very different animals. Someone brought up Glock's (which I can't bear to look at) but a lot of people trust those with their lives and from what I have heard of this may be a good choice. Not my choice but might be the right one one for a specific purpose. When I saw this one I immediately thought of when I heard of people breeding horses and zebras, but I digress. Anyways based on what everyone's said here this may be a screaming deal for someone who like's these hybrids:

ColoGunMarket.com • View ad - Nine guns sale or trade: Ruger Remington Colt Hi-Standard

In the meantime I'll keep my Colt's the way they are and the same goes for my Ruger's. That's the way I like 'em.

Member #
    Liked
    649 times
    cougar 2.jpgcougar 1.jpgcougar3.jpg

From a current local ad......
    SnidelyWhiplash and rock185 like this.
    Colt
    NRA LIFE Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links