Cougar Revolver by Bill Davis
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cougar Revolver by Bill Davis

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cougar Revolver by Bill Davis

I was at a gun show today and ran across a beautiful nickel plated revolver called the Cougar. It has the frame of a Ruger Security Six and the barrel of a Colt Python. The owner had articles of this revolver being built this way and also on Smith frames. This particular one is a 5 3/4" barrel length in pristine nickel condition. It has been fired, but not much. It is a wonderful looking revolver and the balance is unbelievable. Does anyone know more about these revolvers and what the values might be. I understand they were built for competition. This one has three sets of grips and as mentioned just gorgous. I had to have it. I am staring at it as I'm writing. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1693 times
    I first ran into one of these back in 1982. These seem to have been a fad in the late 70s and early 80s. I was told the advantage is the durability of the coil spring action of the Ruger coupled with the accuracy of the Python. How this worked out is a point of some debate. Bill Davis was a well respected pistolsmith that operated out of California. His work is top notch. These days, given the price of Pythons, one might argue that the lowly Colt Python should have been left well enough alone to stand on it's own merits. As always, JMHO.

Member #
    Liked
    489 times
    How about some pictures??
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    here's one on gb. this not for me in any way. RUGER SECURITY-SIX /COLT PYTHON 357 BRL : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    seldom is heard a discouraging word

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    The proof is in the pudding, me hearties.Proof that the Ruger thingy is so butt-ugly somebody felt the need to better it.To know avail.Still butt-ugly.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Who's the idiot that sold-off New-Amsterdam? I could have been reading this board in Dutch!

If guns are the cause of gunviolence, pens are responsible for writingerrors.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cougar that is history

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke View Post
    The proof is in the pudding, me hearties.Proof that the Ruger thingy is so butt-ugly somebody felt the need to better it.To know avail.Still butt-ugly.
    Mr. Gunsmoke..............Come on now, tell us how you really feel. I'm sure the Netherlands had that type of ingenuity back in the early 70's when precision tournament shooting was real big. The python did not hold up as the internals were not as heavy duty as the Ruger. I own Colts and Smiths and this is the most well balanced and light triggered revolver I own. I shoot alot and get compliments on this butt ugly piece. After they shoot a cylinder, it is always...........How much will it take to buy this piece? This is a piece of history from the USA and I am very proud to own it. I wish I had this revolver in Vietnam to protect myself and others. Believe it or not, this revolver is wanted by all who shoot this piece of history. Try it you might like it.

Semper Fi to all of my brothers.......................
    Last edited by myhardtop; 11-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I always thought a Smolt / Smython was a better concept than a "Cougar" which I refer to as a "Pythger" - a silly name for a silly combination, IMO. To really make it something, the Ruger security six would require an action job, so why bother? Then again, I suppose a S&W would get an action job too for a Smolt but S&Ws often have good triggers out of the box, or so I've heard. Its not like I own any or anything, because while I'm on the Colt forum, I HATE S&W!

I just don't see why the Ruger action was a good candidate for the Python barrel. Is it durabililty? But durability over a 19/66? Does anyone have experience with Smolts? I wonder which was better...

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Rugers were advertised as rock solid (rightfully so, they're tanks) at the time when the S&W K frame magnums were having their troubles. But they're butt ugly. Makes sense to me for someone to try to build and sell guns they can advertise as the ruggedness of the Ruger with the Python looks. And as far as the butchering the Python, seems to me a "didn't know what they had" type thing. Someone in the 70's wouldn't have known that Colt would stop making DA's and the Pythons would be fetching such prices 30 years in the future.

I cut my wheelgun teeth on my dad's Security Six when I was 5. He still has the gun. It's on nightstand duty ever since his department went to autos. He shoots it, and it goes hunting with him every year. Other than the stocks, the thing could about pass as brand new today. Rugers are freakin tanks, but I completely understand needing to polish one up.
    Last edited by CO_Kid; 11-21-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    Six for sure

"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy"- Clint Smith

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I think they are weird and ugly and really couldn't stand to even have one in my safe, much less the fact that Bill Ruger threw the American gun owner under the bus and every Ruger I ever owned broke, jammed or misfired!!! But so what? I bet I have some guns that you would think are weird and ugly, and that's OK! You like the way it looks and works and that's what really counts!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by charles isaac View Post
    I think they are weird and ugly and really couldn't stand to even have one in my safe, much less the fact that Bill Ruger threw the American gun owner under the bus and every Ruger I ever owned broke, jammed or misfired!!! But so what? I bet I have some guns that you would think are weird and ugly, and that's OK! You like the way it looks and works and that's what really counts!!
    Thanks for your input. We all probably have ugly ducklings in our safe's. All I wanted to do was inform members of a revolver that most did not know even existed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links