My 1st, 1st Gen 4 digit serial Python
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My 1st, 1st Gen 4 digit serial Python

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

My 1st, 1st Gen 4 digit serial Python

It was late Friday afternoon and my work week was winding down, as I sat in my office overlooking the skyline of Dallas daydreaming about guns, a recurring thought came into my head, one that at the time hadn't been thought of in a whole 20 seconds....GUNS. Rather than wrap up a few assignments and call it a day, I wondered what the internet had to offer.

So I got onto one of my favorite gun trading sites in Texas and lo and behold, a 1st Gen Python was just posted and I was one of the first to see it. The photos were grainy and were definitely taken by a poor cell phone camera, but being a 1st Gen (something I didn't have) my curiosity got the best of me and I picked up my office phone and dialed the number in the ad.

He said his wife inherited the Python and he really didn't need it so he was putting it up for sale, asking price $1000 OBO. Even though he said the gun had wear and a small amount of rust, I couldn't help myself from driving to see it in person, I left today at 0900 on my journey.

After careful review of the gun, I realized it was mechanically very sound. The cylinder locked up tight with each rotation and the double action felt as crisp, if not better, than the actions on my 4" '68 and 6" '73. I was hesitant to buy it because I am a bit of a finish fanatic, but I stopped myself and asked a few questions; 1) Had I, in my brief 27 years on this earth ever seen another 4 digit serial Python? 2) Had I ever personally held one in my hands until today? 3) When was the next chance I might have of seeing another? The answers to the first 2 were a clear "No" and the answer to the 3rd was "based on my experiences so far, not likely".

So after some negotiating over the condition and overall value, we finally agreed on a price of $900. I handed him the cash and left. Here are some photos I took after a brief cleaning, what do you guys think? (I did my best with the photos, the serial is #58XX making it a 1958 production per proofhouse.com)

By alexhiddell at 2012-02-04

Last edited by ColeEnthusiast47; 02-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Kid Sopris and bmcgilvray like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I'll make you $100 on it right now!!! Very nice find. That's a keeper.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    A friend of mine just found one similar. I never have the luck of some. I too rarely see them in person and I think many people would have been happy at $900. Nice find man.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Corn Bread!! Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Nice Python, cool story, great deal.
    Only 1500 produced in 1958!
    The only years with less production are 55 & 56.
    ProTourAero
    Mike McKinney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

219-926-9793

Member #
    Liked
    70 times
    Unless you have a FFL, you just broke federal law. Congratulations, go to jail, do not pass go, do not brag on the internet again about buying a handgun across a state line.
    "What I've found in life is what goes around comes around. Take ice for example: the rich get it in the summer and the poor get it in the winter" (W.B. Masterson).

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PonyLover View Post
    Unless you have a FFL, you just broke federal law. Congratulations, go to jail, do not pass go, do not brag on the internet again about buying a handgun across a state line.
    I have a C&R. But thanks for assuming that I am completely ignorant of firearms laws.

[27 CFR 478.41(c), (d), 478.50(b) and 478.93]

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    6531 times
    Nice timing on getting that and at a good price for that year. You know what people say about the word "assume"

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Nice pick. It's a great shooter for sure. A Colt re-blue would be a tuff call.
    But you bought it right and a restoration could still be a good investment.
    But then again, it's only original once. Your call down the road someday?

And if you do, don't send it in with the original grips. Throw some some cheap
    after markets on for the journey. The shop could 'lose' them. They are worth
    up to $300 alone.
    Last edited by stronghorn; 02-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    804 times
    Any 1950's python is pretty hard to find. I rarely see one even on GB. Youre lucky to find one especially with the original unmolested full checkered stocks with the correct Gold medallions. I've heard you can take out some of those dents in the stocks with a hot steam iron and a cotton cloth-might be worth a try.

It would be good to know how the '58 shoots- you could group it off sandbags at 15 yards like Colt does. If it shoots excellent 6 shot groups,you'll like it even more. I have an old officers model match with severe finish wear -no rust just alot of worn off bluing like yours. I dont mind worn off bluing nearly as much as rust. I cant stand seeing any rust though. The old OMM shoots incredibly well,however,and although the finish is worn badly, I shoot it alot because it is amazingly accurate and im not worried about a little more finish wear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links