Python Total Production Numbers ???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Python Total Production Numbers ???

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Python Total Production Numbers ???

Curious if someone knows the total number of pythons colt produced from 55 until the last elite left the custom shop; & what year was the last one made? i had originally heard around 2003, but later read somewhere that they took orders until 2006. i don't remember the author, but i read a guns & ammo article in 1995 that was praising the python after 40 years of production, & at that time, they were right at the 500,000 mark. i would think with the rising prices & the shift away from revolvers to auto-loaders, sales might have declined some in the final ten years or so. when colt introduced the elite in their new 1997? catalog, i knew i had to have one. i ordered one from my local dealer at 10% over his cost + tax & it set me back about 900.00 !! wish now i would have bought more of them; never have shot that one; still NIB.

Member #
    Liked
    1093 times
    I have heard numbers from 500000 to 750000.I really don't think that anyone outside of Colt knows for sure and Colt ain't saying.If that truly is the range then current prices leave me scratching my head.D*
    Daryl
    If you keep doing what you always did you will always get what you always got

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Even of that number I wonder how many were lost, burnt in home fires, sent overseas and just lost to the public. I would think as fine as they are these become family heirloms. My son drools over mine and I tell him only when I expire. So alot of them wont be on the market. I think being out of the ordinary or so very special will drive these prices. Wont never be anymore. Just look at Garands. Oh and by the way I also read somewhere that 500000 # as far as production.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    It's common practice amongst arms makers to usually not reveal total numbers produced of any model or variation of a certain model. This is for reasons of industrial confidentiality. I wrote a US arms maker (not Colt) and asked for numbers on a certain variation of a revolver I acquired by chance. Their nice response explained the above policy.They know when people like us ask, it's not to spy or gain a business advantage, but it's simply easier to have a blanket policy of not saying.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8021 times
    The last Colt Python was made in 2005, to commemorate the 50 year production of the Python from 1955 to 2005.
    This was the only Python made that year and the last Python ever made.
    It was profusely engraved and inlaid with gold.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    And now no one knows where it is.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2766 times
    Well, nobody that knows is saying.
    SKW

Member #
    Liked
    805 times
    I would think that over the next 20 years or so Python prices will flatten, then fall when adjusted for inflation.

Member #
    Liked
    2712 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gruesome View Post
    Even of that number I wonder how many were lost, burnt in home fires, sent overseas and just lost to the public.

I would venture to say that the attrition rate of Pythons is quite small. For example, let's compare it to the 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield (TDs) that had a total of about 550,000 manufactured, which is in the range of the estimated 500,000-700,000 Pythons made.

The "newest" TD will be at least 120 years old. TDs were used in the Indian wars, Spanish American War, Philippine Insurrection, and continued to see limited military use into the 20th century. They were used by frontiersmen, buffalo hunters, police forces, military schools, colleges, etc., etc.

Such firms as Sears, Bannerman, and SH&G got hold of thousands of them and modified and parted them out for civilians. Also consider that we have had Bubba and just plain old shooters and hunters modifying them to their personal whim for the past 100+ years.

Add all this up and it likely makes for pretty high attrition, yet 45-70 TDs are regularly seen at gun shows, internet sites, and in dealer catalogs. Since Pythons can not even begin to compare to the use the TD has seen, I think we can say that a very large percentage of the number made are still with us

John Gross
    My areas of expertise are firearms and Latin females. Not necessarily in that order.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I added all the serial ranges (from 1955 to end of production in mid 2000's) together one time and came up with somewhere around 750,000. Of course maybe not all of the ranges were made, but most were. The best guesstimate I can give is between 600,000-700,000 total made, but no one knows for sure. People sure have hoarded them up lol .
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links