Good books to own, especially for Colt revolvers!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Good books to own, especially for Colt revolvers!

Member #
    Liked
    2599 times

Good books to own, especially for Colt revolvers!

I found myself replying to a post in much the same manner as this and figured I would make it more public.

There are always a lot of date questions on here for "what year was it made". Yes, you can find most older gun dates online but newer post '80s not so much. That is why I went out and bought the two blue book pocket guides. Got them both for $25 on abebooks dotcom. Being in college I know all the places to find the cheapest books. These are really nice to have and you can't beat $25.

Next good reading material is the Jerry K. shop manuals. These are a little more pricey but very interesting even for people who still won't attempt to do any of the work. I have the Colt Revolvers Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, as well as the 1911 shop manual, but I have the digital copies that are PDF format. They are very small in size and if anyone would ever like some info out of them, just PM me.

The shop manuals are also very nice to have in order to know whether something is normal or not.

Last edited by bsmalley23; 12-20-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add pic
    BrunoEss, mikegs430 and cda926 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10748 times
    If you're serious about Colts - 'The Book of Colt Firearms' - by Sutherland and Wilson - reprinted by Wilson.

The various 'Blue Book' publications aren't really fonts of knowledge - there are too many discrepancies.

Member #
    Liked
    2599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    If you're serious about Colts - 'The Book of Colt Firearms' - by Sutherland and Wilson - reprinted by Wilson.

The various 'Blue Book' publications aren't really fonts of knowledge - there are too many discrepancies.
    That may be true, but this was geared towards quick and easy information access, like dates and base values. At a much cheaper price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    thanks for this post b

Member #
    Liked
    2599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoEss View Post
    thanks for this post b
    No problem, hope that information helps you out.

Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Besides the recommended Wilson book, you should own "Colt Firearms from 1836 to 1960" by Serven and the Colt book by Haven and Belden. Both can be found at reasonable prices on e-bay. Just enter the word Colt under Books on the e-bay site. you will be amazed at what is available.

Forum Friend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13059 times
    In recent days I received a new copy of the Haven & Belden Colt book, published by NRA 1997, leather bound, 700 pages, 9x12" format, $30 +S&H. I was disappointed to learn it is a reprint of the 1940 original, with black & white photos poorly copied from what were best in 1940. The book seems mostly a collection of repro data from/about Colt& other sources such as reports, advertizing reprints, patent document repros. A reprint of a 1906 article about the 1905 .45 auto is an example which was interesting in that author's "take" back in the day.

Aside from my buyer's remorse, the book contains probably better than "Colt 101" info for the student - a lot in one now cheap package. It probably filled a vacant niche in 1940, wildly popular & sought-after for decades and a collectors item that NRA reprinted. I'm glad I didn't pay what was probably its outrageous price in 1997.
    Last edited by rhmc24; 12-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    168 times
    Rare or Seldom seen book seem to be coming out of the woodwork. I just saw on ebay a copy of John Kopec's "Old West Antiques And Collectibles" for $ 20, I have seen this book sell for $ 250 on the secondary market

Member #
    Liked
    2599 times
    It seems there has been many Colt books made over the long life of the company. Maybe if anyone else reads this post and knows any other ones not mentioned, we could get a list going here for people to reference and then could go out and find if any of them attract their interest. That could be a useful thread?

Thank you guys for pointing out those other books. I might have to look into them. I know there are many others out there as I have come across a few.

**EDIT**

A1A, pointed out this sticky thread for gun book library, https://www.coltforum.com/forums/loun...ggestions.html

So no need to try and get that going with this one. It can be left with the original intention of quick reference to "date made, and base value" questions. Also the offer still stands if anyone wants some information from any of the shop manuals, just PM your email and I can send you what you need.
    Last edited by bsmalley23; 12-22-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Found a sticky

Member #
    Liked
    207 times
    For those of you who have not been there, a good source of about any book ever published is Abebooks.com. It's really sort of a clearing house for a large number of booksellers, and their prices are pretty good. Both new and used books are there, and occasionally some very unusual gun books.

This is everything Abe has from Kuhnhausen: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...hnhausen&sts=t

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links