Parkerized finish on Colt Detective Specials? (and market value)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Parkerized finish on Colt Detective Specials? (and market value)

Member #
    Liked
    174 times
    Assuming you have seen photos of the mirror bore and it makes you happy ... congrats on your new gun, carry and shoot it in good health, sir!

Member #
    Liked
    10715 times
    'Completed sales' on any of the auction sites are interesting, to be sure - they give one an idea of a single snapshot in time when several individuals wanted 'that' particular piece, and bid one another up until there was a 'winner' of the competition.

It's a good way to reach a lot of people and sell things, but it's only a general guide.

Right this minute, folks are strapped for cash, thanks to Christmas bills coming due, and that means they sell their 'stuff' more reasonably.

What that means to a prospective buyer is that he's got to have feelers out all the time, and he's got to cast a wide net - and trolling gun shows, pawn shops, 'gun libraries' and the internet aren't going to be a part of that.

I've done this a long time, now - folks know what I collect, so I get calls because I'm fair, appreciative, pay fair prices and don't 'ever' try to screw anyone, ever - it's the personal touch that pays off.

A small ad can pay off, too - but use a carefully worded one - too many are immediate indicators that the prospective buyer is a vacuum wanting to Hoover up, so 'he' can re-sell, or 'flip'.

Good Luck!

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    I got this 1962 %98 cond. for $550 last November.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by svt40 View Post
    I got this 1962 %98 cond. for $550 last November.
    Nice. Are parts of it parkerized? It looks like it has different finishes in different areas.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    'Completed sales' on any of the auction sites are interesting, to be sure - they give one an idea of a single snapshot in time when several individuals wanted 'that' particular piece, and bid one another up until there was a 'winner' of the competition.

It's a good way to reach a lot of people and sell things, but it's only a general guide.

Right this minute, folks are strapped for cash, thanks to Christmas bills coming due, and that means they sell their 'stuff' more reasonably.

What that means to a prospective buyer is that he's got to have feelers out all the time, and he's got to cast a wide net - and trolling gun shows, pawn shops, 'gun libraries' and the internet aren't going to be a part of that.

I've done this a long time, now - folks know what I collect, so I get calls because I'm fair, appreciative, pay fair prices and don't 'ever' try to screw anyone, ever - it's the personal touch that pays off.

A small ad can pay off, too - but use a carefully worded one - too many are immediate indicators that the prospective buyer is a vacuum wanting to Hoover up, so 'he' can re-sell, or 'flip'.

Good Luck!
    I completely understand what you're saying.
    I'm a newbie, and for me, completed listings are the only true way I can see the current value for guns. I don't know any other way.
    If I average the end price for 100 colt detectives in average condition, that gives me at least a general idea.

On gunbroker specifically, there were none sold in the past 6 months or so for under $350ish (in any condition) So I figure that this one here can't be the worst condition detective in the US and sell for much under that so I feel somewhat safe.

That's why I was surprised a couple guys here were saying it's worth $200. I just don't know where that comes from.
    I have feelers out with local collectors and shops and they just don't come anywhere near that.

And for the record, I am in no way doing this for re-selling or flipping, I just try not to over spend when I can

Thanks for all the help guys!

Member #
    Liked
    10715 times
    It comes from the price for refinished guns, and refinishing is the Kiss of Death so far as pricing goes - cutting values drastically.

The BB pricing uses original finish as a guide when assessing/assigning an arbitrary 'value' - so much of the stuff you see is going to be priced using that guide.

I say 'arbitrary' because the BB only tabulates the information given to them - from what I know, they don't go out and actively seek it, nor do they use auction-based data, because it's not an accurate reflection - so if there haven't been any sales on certain items, then there's nothing reportable and prices stay the same, insofar as they're concerned. (That said, in many cases, I'd love to buy at BB prices and I'd love to sell at those same prices, as well - because they can vary wildly on 'actual, real-world values' at different times.)

Auctions are what they are - essentially, they're competitions between interested parties vying for something, and for the seller, it's hoped that there's more than one interested party, but naturally the prospective buyer's hoping that the other guys' car batteries all died or their water heaters just exploded, so he's the sole interested party.

Hope Springs Eternal...

Were I selling - it'd go to an auction, because I'd get a wider audience and hopefully the condition would start a bidding war to my advantage, and so far, it's worked that way - but I generally don't buy from auctions unless I first factor in extraneous costs and ask whether I'd pay that - 'plus' - if I saw the piece on a table, and if the answer's 'no' - I just don't, and I don't think twice about it, because they never made one of anything, and I'll find what I'm looking for at a more favorable price if I wait.

It helps that I'm as patient as Death...

Having feelers out with other collectors and shops is good, but if they contact you, you'll all too often there's little loyalty or reciprocity shown beyond lip service, and you'll be their last contact before it's on a show table, so widen that net to include hunting buddies, relatives and workplace folks who don't flip out at the mention of 'guns', because there are people right now wondering what to do with Uncle Stosh's 'old gun'.

You might be surprised...

Again, Good Luck - and slow down a little, because something will come your way - it always does.
    Last edited by dogface6; 01-05-2015 at 08:25 AM.
    comma likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1642 times
    The military had some DS guns in this date range. Could this be one of these guns? One of the experts here may know.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    It comes from the price for refinished guns, and refinishing is the Kiss of Death so far as pricing goes - cutting values drastically.

The BB pricing uses original finish as a guide when assessing/assigning an arbitrary 'value' - so much of the stuff you see is going to be priced using that guide.

I say 'arbitrary' because the BB only tabulates the information given to them - from what I know, they don't go out and actively seek it, nor do they use auction-based data, because it's not an accurate reflection - so if there haven't been any sales on certain items, then there's nothing reportable and prices stay the same, insofar as they're concerned. (That said, in many cases, I'd love to buy at BB prices and I'd love to sell at those same prices, as well - because they can vary wildly on 'actual, real-world values' at different times.)

Auctions are what they are - essentially, they're competitions between interested parties vying for something, and for the seller, it's hoped that there's more than one interested party, but naturally the prospective buyer's hoping that the other guys' car batteries all died or their water heaters just exploded, so he's the sole interested party.

Hope Springs Eternal...

Were I selling - it'd go to an auction, because I'd get a wider audience and hopefully the condition would start a bidding war to my advantage, and so far, it's worked that way - but I generally don't buy from auctions unless I first factor in extraneous costs and ask whether I'd pay that - 'plus' - if I saw the piece on a table, and if the answer's 'no' - I just don't, and I don't think twice about it, because they never made one of anything, and I'll find what I'm looking for at a more favorable price if I wait.

It helps that I'm as patient as Death...

Having feelers out with other collectors and shops is good, but if they contact you, you'll all too often there's little loyalty or reciprocity shown beyond lip service, and you'll be their last contact before it's on a show table, so widen that net to include hunting buddies, relatives and workplace folks who don't flip out at the mention of 'guns', because there are people right now wondering what to do with Uncle Stosh's 'old gun'.

You might be surprised...

Again, Good Luck - and slow down a little, because something will come your way - it always does.
    Good advice. Thank you very much!
    I feel like I got into the game once the value of all the guns I'm interested in skyrocketed...so I get a little trigger happy (no pun intended) trying to get a few cheaper examples while I can.
    But I do need to learn to be patient.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blockislander View Post
    The military had some DS guns in this date range. Could this be one of these guns? One of the experts here may know.
    That's what I was hoping, but I'm guessing it would stamped "US Property" or similar, which it isn't. So I'm guessing somebody did it at some point because they liked the look. Not sure why else they would re-finish a new detective.

Either way, from the photos I've seen it looks like a good parkerization job.

Member #
    Liked
    10715 times
    Yes, you do.

Don't let them see the lust in your eyes...
    comma likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links