Revolver man crossing back over to 1911 ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Revolver man crossing back over to 1911 ...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Revolver man crossing back over to 1911 ...

As my thread title indicates, I am a lifelong revolver shooter/CCW looking to reenter the 1911 fray after an extended time away. I am currently experiencing information overload, and hope that some Colt experts can clarify something for me. I wish to purchase a new production model, and my preference is the rebooted Series 70, though I am not limiting myself to that choice. My budget is < $1K, and after browsing numerous websites, I have found Buds to have the most competitive prices, with selected Colt 1911s (.45 ACP) priced between $700-850. I am fully aware of "cheap gets cheap", but my inquiry is this ... how much value is lacking in a bottom-level Colt 1911 vs. a mid-level Colt priced $100-200 more? Worth noting is that I am not looking for fancy trinkets and add-ons, just a solid, stock 1911 that is reliable and can be carried as desired. I previously owned a New Agent in 9mm and several utilitarian (non Colt) 1911s, and have lost count of how many online reviews I have read/watched. Yes, I know Springfield and Ruger make nice 1911s for < $750, but I am only interested in Colts at present.

Edit: Another option would be going with either the NA or Defender for dedicated carry. Lipseys has the Night Defender and Stone Gray models ($950-$1K) though I am partial to the trench site NA which I believe is still available through Buds for ~ $850.

Thank you in advance for any/all opinions and advice.
    Last edited by Prisoner6; 12-05-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    6531 times
    I've Series 70, Series 80 and a LW Commander all in .45 plus some other Colt 1911 patterned pistols. My EDC, when not packing my DS, is the LW Commander. I paid $1080 (darn taxes yanno) OTD but one can find them lightly used for less. It carries well, obviously lighter weight, and conceals acceptably.

After I cleaned and functioned checked the pistol I ran 100 rounds with 100% function, no faliures and the sights are easily brought to bear on follow up shots to target. I have a custom heavy duty belt, made by a forum member for me, that hasn't sagged a mm in 2 some years. The Belt is as important, if you belt carry, as the pistol. Some like IWB, not for me. Some like shoulder rigs, I've yet to invest in one but would look at the El Paso lineup.

Oh, I did change out the panels for Ivory, it just makes me smile

LW Commander Ivory(2).jpgLW Commander PreIvory(1).jpg

As a point of order, yes there are cheaper 1911 patterned pistols out thare that are reliable, for less, but IMHO, there's something about a COLT that speaks volumes. The QC was vastly improved as well as the builds over the last 4 some years. Parts, readily available, and you can trick it out if you so wish.

COLT3.jpg

I do have some eye candy to share and every one has never FTF nor FTE and come into battery and gone to target.

Last edited by MtnSpur; 12-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    Colt-SL, Prisoner6 and kenhwind like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1524 times
    The new Seriess 70 Govs are very nice. Right now I have one in 9mm where I did replace the stocks for some from Altamont. I got mine from a LGS so it was a little over $1K with tax.

Prisoner6 and Colt-SL like this.
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2446 times
    I don't think you can go wrong with a new series 70 and you should be able to get one around $900 +-.

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Entry level Colt pistols are not cheap guns, but they do lack the better sights, stocks, finish options and top of the line barrels of the higher priced models. They are still forged, have few mim parts, and have the overall Colt quality for endurance and accuracy. I think you would be very happy with a $1000 dollar budget.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22422 times
    Based on inputs from other Forum members, Bud's is an excellent place to purchase a new Colt at
    a reasonable price. Welcome to the Colt Forum!!
    Prisoner6 and Colt-SL like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13389 times
    I concur with all my brethren above. Any of today's Model O pistols are solid choises. Your first choice 70 series is well made and accurate right out of the box and Bud's has good choices and prices.

By the way, welcome to the Colt Forum!!
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the comments thus far. The Buds pricing has got me somewhat perplexed, thus my original post. Here are two items from Buds' current listings:

$696 - Model:
    O1991 -- Bud's Item Number: 36291

$749 - Model:
    O1991Z--Bud's Item Number: 718002558

Aside from not having premier triggers and hammers, or upgraded sights, are these two < $750 Colt 1911s too good to be true? Or are they quality utilitarian models that would fit my interests and needs?

Last edited by Prisoner6; 12-05-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1375 times
    They are quality items with slightly different cosmetics and fit.
    Prisoner6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    I have the 01991 and it is a blued Government Model. For that price what is not to like? I bought it at Buds and the Blue is much deeper and normal looking that that awful pic on the web site....
    Prisoner6 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links