Looking to learn difference between two colts.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

Looking to learn difference between two colts.

I hope there is an easy answer to this question. I have been saving my pennies as I want one of the WWI 1911 reproduction models in 45 acp. (Colt 1918-) Generally they seem to be priced over $1000. Today I saw the ad for the 1911 Series 80 Government model in 45 acp. It's priced at $750. I went to the Colt website, and did a search here, but can't find the answer to my question.

What is the difference between these two models? Thanks for your time. John

10X

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The WWI model is made to look like the original 1911 models in the early production period. It has a flat mainspring housing, long trigger shorter grip safety, early sight design, etc. It does not have the series 80 firing pin block. The markings are as close to the original markings as possible. The mag is a 7 rounder. Nostalgia. A fine gun. I see them sell for $900-$950 little used.

The series 80 Government model is the most modern version of the gun. It has the series 80 firing pin block, arched mainsping housing, modern longer grip safety, modern sights, etc. I believe the mags are 8 rounders.

Are you looking for nostalgia look or a modern look of this classic proven design, that is the choice.

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    10X described it very well. The WWI Repro also doesn't have the 1911A1 scallops near the trigger. The "classic" look of the WWI Repro is exceptional. I have a couple of the Carbonia finished models and I wouldn't trade them for any of the other Colt 1911 models that I have except the SCG.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Thanks so much for your replies. I inherited my dad's 1911A1 manufactured in 1944. He was career air force. I shot it a few times several years ago, but no longer want to treat it as a shooter. It will be put safely away. I am looking for one to shoot now and really appreciate the information. I'm leaning towards nostalgic. John
    Last edited by tarantulakeeper; 06-09-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: added A1

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links