Newish collector - Looking at 1908M hammerless. A few ?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Newish collector - Looking at 1908M hammerless. A few ?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    CWO4USCGRET Wow! Very impressive! Accept no substitute, this guy is the real deal! Thanks for sharing!

Here is the "family portrait" I wanted to show.

1930s Woodsman: Has "Micro" aftermarket sights, a polished feed ramp, and a trigger overtravel stop. Previous owner tuned this thing up. Accurate and most of all, stupid reliable. Feed it EVERYTHING in great quantity.

1980s Colt Agent: Has custom grips made locally from some exotic Brazilian wood. (Jacaranda?) The purple grips match the grey parkerizing nicely.

My new baby, the hammerless:

Missing is the NIB Woodsman Huntsman. This is at my parent's house who have a climate controlled safe. But here is a pic from before I brought it to them.

I'm hoping to have a nice 1911 join these in the near future. Rest assured, it too will be a Colt. I'm still kicking myself for buying a S&W 586 a few months back, even though it is a fine gun too, I had really wanted a Trooper mkIII but couldn't find one in the size/condition I wanted.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Looking for one also

I have wanted a 1903 or 1908 for some time now. I guess i go more towards the 1908 since i already have a .380 LCP and don't want to add another caliber to my collection.

i found a nice one last night, very good condition except for some strange scaring by the safety, almost looks like someone tried to pry he safety lever out or grind some of the pin there down a little. couldn't figure out what would have caused that. anyway, the rest of the pistol looks great, i don't believe it was refinished because the scars by the safety were not doctored.

i was also wondering about how much these should 'rattle'. i know they should probably be a little loose, it was manufactured in 1930, but the barrel seemed tight. were the barrels of these usually blued? (or black i guess)? i don't believe this pistol has had a lot of rounds through it and it came from a guy who had a pretty high end collection of other 1911s. he was asking $800 for it, but with the scaring i was hoping to get him down a little, $800 seems a little high.

anyone have any other advice on this? some other things to look for?

appreciate the help
    thanks!
    kevin.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Gun is 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol, 2 in barrel, in .25 ACP. I have promised a friend I would clean and lube it for him IF I can field strip it. Does anyone have instructions? This one is not for sale since it belonged to his father and is pretty rough. I am a shooter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5510 times
    The Colt 1908 .380 is about the most elegent .380 ever, and, I see no reason not to CCW with one if one likes them.

Few CCW exigencies will ever require ( or have the liesure for ) a definitive liesured 'Sight Picture' anyway.

I qualified with mine, for my CCW.

Member #
    Liked
    9626 times
    Zombie.
    Those things are $750-$800 & up nowadays.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcover View Post
    Gun is 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol, 2 in barrel, in .25 ACP. I have promised a friend I would clean and lube it for him IF I can field strip it. Does anyone have instructions? This one is not for sale since it belonged to his father and is pretty rough. I am a shooter.
    Try you tube, they have field stripping for most all guns.

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    It's wonderful to be a colt collector and be passionate about colts.
    I think, however, to bet your life on the performance of a 75-100 year old machine, is just plain dumb.
    Call me a realist, not a romantic.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Here in Central FL, the .380s are always priced higher than the .32s. They made way more .32s and the .380s are hard to find. For $400.00, I'd have bought every one he had! The last one I saw a few weeks ago was in about the same or worse condition and was going for over $600.00. It's also my understanding that it's best not to drop one of these when loaded...
    "Maverick didn't come here to lose."

NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Cobretti, you are correct. That gun has no internal safety mechanisms. If there is a round in the chamber and it falls onto a hard surface, it can discharge. I own 2, and although they are the about the most comfortable carry guns ever made, they spend most of their time in the safe.
    Last edited by tac803; 09-04-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    The Second Amendment, America's original Department of Homeland Security.

Member #
    Liked
    3314 times
    Colt 380 with box.jpgNot quite as nice as John Fugates 1937 but this is a 1936 vintage with the box.
    MtnSpur likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links