Colt Woodsman Parts

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Colt Woodsman Parts

I recently bought a Woodsman Match Target Series 3 with a 4.5 inch barrel. The gun is in great condition and I intend to shoot it. My question is: are there any parts on this gun that are likely to need replacement? If so, I would like to be on he look out for them before they are needed.

Thanks,
    Yakman

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    I am sure others will come along and answer the question but you might consider a PM to colt22dotcom or his website colt22.com. He is the expert here that I turn to for Woodsman questions. flanman

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I am not an expert but I do own three Colt Woodsman pistols. One is a second series with
    a side release for the magazine. The other two are third series with the bottom magazine release on the heel of the grip.

What I have been told is that the third series, with the magazine release on the bottom, is prone to breakage, either the spring or latch itself.

I do not know if this is true because I have never had one break on mine.

Other than that you can count on a lifetime plus of shooting with your woodsman.

al
    alster

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1364 times

Colt Woodsman Spares

Just a thought - but an extra magazine is always a good idea.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2022 times
    The one part I get the most requests for is the slide stop spring. It is prone to breakage, and also prone to dropping out and disappearing into the carpet when the gun is disassembled. Fortunately they are cheap and readily available.

The bottom magazine catch on the postwar Woodsman is not prone to breakage. I believe Alster is thinking of the bottom magazine catch used on the Challenger, and on the early Huntsman and Targetsman. It is a very poor design, and often breaks. Original replacements are nearly impossible to find (I ran out long ago) but I believe Numrich sells reproductions. Wisners can make them for you but it might be a long wait.

Eventually the Challenger type magazine retainer was dropped from the Huntsman and Targetsman and all models were fitted with the snap catch type magazine retainer as used on all 3rd series Woodsman models: Sport, Target, and Match Target.

Other than the Woodsman slide stop spring and the Challenger type magazine catch I get very few requests for broken parts on the post-WWII guns. Sometimes a broken firing pin, and once in a while a coil spring of one type or another.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Pretty rare that you'll need a part other than the ones you lose.
    +1 on the slide stop spring, along with a trigger spring. They are both escape artists and will disappear so fast you'll wonder if they were ever really there.

Sponsored Links