Different slide markings on Series 70?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Different slide markings on Series 70?

I bought a Series 70 S/N 70B2xxxx in the 80's and had it tricked out at that time. That's the top slide. The bottom slide is my carry slide, but I also wanted to play with some different sights so bought a slide from another forum. The top and bottom slides have the same markings but in a different location. The middle slide has completely different markings.

Can someone tell me if these are all appropriate markings, or do I have some dodgy slides? The graininess is a side effect of the camera. The top and bottom slides are mirror finish while the middle slide is a flat finish.

Thanks!
    Ron

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    They all look okay to me. The middle one is referred to as the "large rollmark" (take a wild guess why) and the other is the "small rollmark".

The LRM was the first marking and was used up until around 1978, when the SRM was introduced and used up until 1983. The new Series 70 replicas also use the small rollmark, but get this: Colt made up a batch of LRM slides just prior to the re-introduction of the Series 70 replicas that were large rollmark. They can be identified by the fact they say "Colt Competition" on the opposite side.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    They all look okay to me. The middle one is referred to as the "large rollmark" (take a wild guess why) and the other is the "small rollmark".

The LRM was the first marking and was used up until around 1978, when the SRM was introduced and used up until 1983. The new Series 70 replicas also use the small rollmark, but get this: Colt made up a batch of LRM slides just prior to the re-introduction of the Series 70 replicas that were large rollmark. They can be identified by the fact they say "Colt Competition" on the opposite side.
    THANK YOU!! Yes indeed, the other side of the middle one with the big roll mark says "Colt Competition." So what year would this date to and why doesn't it have the mirror finish of the original slides? What's your opinion of polishing and rebluing it to match?

BTW, I cannot find a serial number starting with 70B2 on any of the serial number sites. Any idea on that topic?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links