Colt. .380 Shanghai Municipal Police – 2 MORE !
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Colt. .380 Shanghai Municipal Police – 2 MORE !

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    32726 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno38 View Post
    Back to square one, i.e to my first entry over one year ago.
    You had enough time to think about it gentlemen...
    Any idea what U3130 on front grip strap refers to?
    Nope not a Clue.
    Except it is the one right after U3129.
    And:
    A year later it is still a total of 9 for me.
    Because they are still hard to find and expensive.

M1908 380 SMP 88304 # 915 1925
    (close to your
    88332)

All-matching (frame, slide, barrel)
    with special grips, double-holed mags, lanyard loop.

Close but no Cigar Bruno...

ei8ht®

Last edited by ei8ht; 04-13-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I have two comments. The "U" number on your SMP pistol appears similar to ones that were put on pistols for which concealed weapons licenses were issued in Shanghai. In at least a couple of cases SMP .380s were given (issued) for important foreigners living in the Concession. It is possible that is one that was given to an important personage, who was then issued a concealed carry license for it. Some SMP M1908 pistols may have made points to come into the USA by having an extended barrel put in them. Once in the USA these barrels were replaced by the proper barrel. I bought one of these pistols once that had the extended barrel still.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    801 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamurzapt View Post
    I have two comments. The "U" number on your SMP pistol appears similar to ones that were put on pistols for which concealed weapons licenses were issued in Shanghai. In at least a couple of cases SMP .380s were given (issued) for important foreigners living in the Concession. It is possible that is one that was given to an important personage, who was then issued a concealed carry license for it. Some SMP M1908 pistols may have made points to come into the USA by having an extended barrel put in them. Once in the USA these barrels were replaced by the proper barrel. I bought one of these pistols once that had the extended barrel still.
    I find your observation most interesting, as I was not aware of this phenomenon. May I kindly ask where you took the information?
    ei8ht likes this.
    Bruno in Rouses Point, NY

Have a cigar!

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    I have seen two pistols with markings such as this that were accompanied by the concealed carry license--one was an FN 1910 and the other was a Colt 1903. the FN1910 was from the French Concession and the 1903 from the International Concession but they were both marked in the same way. I have a photo of hte 1910 and the license somewhere in the photos for one of my books on the SMP. If I can find it, I'll post it.
    ei8ht, bruno38 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Forgot to mention in regards to the SMP giving pistols; the SMP holster pictured in my WORLD'S FIRST SWAT TEAM book came from an SMP M1908 presented to a Scandinavian diplomat.
    ei8ht, bruno38 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    32726 times
    Forgot to mention in regards to the SMP giving pistols; the SMP holster pictured in my WORLD'S FIRST SWAT TEAM book came from an SMP M1908 presented to a Scandinavian diplomat.

Most Excellent Book.
    Anyone that Collects SMP Marked Pistols Should Have a Copy.

ei8ht®
    Last edited by ei8ht; 04-16-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    bruno38, stan3 and SHOOTER13 like this.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    801 times
    Thank you again for your information and comment, Sir. I have two more questions you could eventually answer, if you please :

- What does the "U" prefix mean/refer to, i.e. is that the first letter of a word (likely in English)?
    - The "3130" number suggests there might have been quite a large number of weapons marked that way, although that appears unlikely considering the small number of important foreigners who could be entitled to be provided with one (?)

NOTE - By the way, this U-pistol was acquired and is still owned in Canada, not in USA. As such, it was not subject to a re-barreling operation.

Best regards
    ei8ht likes this.

Have a cigar!

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Sorry, I don't know how the numbering system worked. There were actually quite a few CCLs issued in Shanghai but I agree not enough to merit such a high number if they were just numbered sequentially. The SMP allegedly purchased a few Colt .25 autos but they may have been FN M1905 autos. I have one of these that reportedly W. E. Fairbairn carried after he became a high ranking member of the force. When he left Shanghai in 1940 it was reportedly given to his driver who took it with him when he left Shanghai. WEF's daughter did confirm to me that he had a "small pistol" that he carried in his pocket. Of course, when he commanded the Reserve Unit he also kept a Thompson leaning against the wall in his quarters. The FN also bears Alcock and Pearce retailer markings, as well as "S.M.P." and a number. It is pictured in Anthony Vanderlinden's book on FN pistols. The comment about the longer barrels was addressing the point that the pistols could not be exported to the USA. If I remember some of the Colt 1911s and 1911A1s that were taken into SMP service, when recovered from the streets or otherwise acquired had such numbers added. I have seen posts on this forum about these non-Colt roll marked guns, which were with issue numbers above the standard SMP 1911A1s.
    ei8ht and bruno38 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    801 times

U2322 found...

Picture from Axis Pistols by Jan Still (page 60)

Subject CZ-27 bears a hand-written number: U2322 !!!!
    Any link to the Shanghai Concession story?

For your perusal...

_DSC1027.JPG
    Last edited by bruno38; Today at 06:12 AM.
    ei8ht likes this.

Have a cigar!

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    I think this is just a happy coincidence, there was a block of CZ-27's with the "U" prefix that supposedly indicated they were for training purposes, or possibly test articles.
    They didn't have factory-stamped S/N's as far as I know, just the electro-penciled numbers.
    Unlike the regular production CZ-27's, had Eagle/4 proofs in addition to the "standard" WaA76 proofs (or police proofs).
    They are highly sought after; I haven't found one yet
    here's two more:

"http://www.p38guns.com/U2505.htm"
    "http://www.p38guns.com/U3045.htm"
    bruno38 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links