Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 1941 park RS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times

1941 park RS

41 park rh.jpgWell here is something you don't see every day a 1941 park RS with original park small G barrel and I am not the only kid on the block with one ! I was looking through Karl K CD a week or so after I bought this one and could not help but notice that Karl`s 1941 park RS had a park barrel in it so I contacted Karl and he stated he had not looked at the gun in quite awhile and he would look at it over the weekend and get back with me on Monday with a full report and he did .So Monday he contacts me and said yes indeed his 740,810 has a park small G barrel in it and it is the original barrel as it matched in wear with the rest of the gun and the wear patterns matched so he kept it in even thought the books say it should be blued . Needless to say he was glad to hear from me with another park RS with a park barrel .He also stated that he could see blue under the park where the wear was and if you look at the right side picture of it the barrel appears to be blue what you can see through the ejection port and it was not until I looked at the picture of the top of it that I noticed the barrel looked park . So I looked at the barrel in mine real hard and noticed mine displayed the same things wear of the barrel matched the wear of the gun and the wear patterns matched and the pistol came from the son of the vet it was issued to who was stationed in Burma during the war and was in Chemical Warfare Division .The pistol came with holster mag pouch and 3 mag's and 16 rounds of 1941 WCC ammo . So if anybody knows of one Prepared in this same configuration I would love to hear from you with a serial number and I am sure Karl would too.41 park lh.JPG Attachment 63412941 park barrel.JPG41 park brl lh.JPG41 park mag.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2599 times
    Quote Originally Posted by prewar View Post
    Well here is something you don't see every day a 1941 park RS with original park small G barrel and I am not the only kid on the block with one ! I was looking through Karl K CD a week or so after I bought this one and could not help but notice that Karl`s 1941 park RS had a park barrel in it so I contacted Karl and he stated he had not looked at the gun in quite awhile and he would look at it over the weekend and get back with me on Monday with a full report and he did .So Monday he contacts me and said yes indeed his 740,810 has a park small G barrel in it and it is the original barrel as it matched in wear with the rest of the gun and the wear patterns matched so he kept it in even thought the books say it should be blued . Needless to say he was glad to hear from me with another park RS with a park barrel .He also stated that he could see blue under the park where the wear was and if you look at the right side picture of it the barrel appears to be blue what you can see through the ejection port and it was not until I looked at the picture of the top of it that I noticed the barrel looked park . So I looked at the barrel in mine real hard and noticed mine displayed the same things wear of the barrel matched the wear of the gun and the wear patterns matched and the pistol came from the son of the vet it was issued to who was stationed in Burma during the war and was in Chemical Warfare Division .The pistol came with holster mag pouch and 3 mag's and 16 rounds of 1941 WCC ammo . So if anybody knows of one Prepared in this same configuration I would love to hear from you with a serial number and I am sure Karl would too.
    prewar,

Interesting. Congratulations. Thank you for the pictures.

It would also be interesting to examine the parkerized barrel in 740810, to examine the "blue under the park where the wear was" effect that barrel displays.? Some believe, the phosphoric acid in the parkerizing solution would chemically strip all "bluing" as part of parkerizing the barrel. A partial bead blasted metal surface (matte finished) that was blued might give the appearance described by Karl with the barrel in 740810.?

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan3; 05-18-2019 at 03:41 AM.
    824tsv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1670 times
    Prewar, Nice gun and info. Do the mags have the Colt logo on the bottom? Or any marking anywhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    One unmarked matt pinned base the other 2 are two tone surplus WWI mags one Colt and one contract.41 park base.JPG41 parkrig.jpg
    RSColts likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    pins.JPGmsh pin head.JPGRS brl full.JPGThe pic`s of the pin heads are from Karls CD the barrel is my gun ..what do you see ? I see blue under the park on the pins and blue under the park on some parts of my barrel .The link and pin show it too.
    Last edited by prewar; 05-18-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Rob Greer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1729 times
    Interesting new information here. I like how both your barrel and Karl’s look exactly the same. Light grey parkerized finish similar to the finish on the Early parked pistols.
    Most collectors would have quickly put a blued small G in the gun to make it by the book.
    As time marches on we will certainly find more and more small variations like this.
    prewar likes this.
    USMC 1996-2002

Member #
    Liked
    11262 times
    Is there a reference that mentions Colt using a batch of phosphate/Parkerized barrels, or is all this based on finding a nice Colt with a nice Parkerized barrel? We have all found parts together that we know doesn't belong together even though their condition matches perfectly.

Colt has blued their military contract barrels since the beginning of production of the Model 1911 to the end of production of the 1911A1. With the change from heat blue to phosphate ordnance specifications called for a Du-Lite blue finish on the barrels, so why use a batch of barrels that didn't meet specifications?

You can blue over phosphate but you can't phosphate over blue, and why would Colt refinish parts already finished?

Small G blued barrel. Several blued small parts being used up after the change from blue to phosphate finish.

Scott Gahimer, OIF2 and JudgeColt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4533 times
    Matching wear patterns on a barrel, receiver and slide can be a good indication that a barrel is original. However, if we found a couple nice, high condition Colt pistols with Hi Std. barrels which displayed perfectly matching wear patterns and no conflicting wear patterns from different barrels... I still would not believe the Hi Std. barrels were original to the guns.

A phosphate barrel is, IMO, not an original finish barrel and would be considered incorrect...just as incorrect as a Hi Std., Flannery Bolt or Springfield Armory in a Colt pistol.

A barrel can be replaced in a pistol very early on, before wear patterns ever really develop. If an incorrect barrel is installed and the pistol is fired a bit, wear patterns will develop that would technically match the pistol. Chuck Clawson listed what were believed to be "correct" barrels for different pistols and serial ranges. His footnote at the bottom of p. 132 assumes you are using his information on that page regarding the chronological order of barrel markings. His footnote simply means if you are in a transition serial range where two different markings may be correct, the wear patterns can indicate if the barrel is correct (original to the pistol).

Previously, on p. 104, Clawson states "All barrels were blued. Parkerized barrels were either refinished or manufactured after the war." I've not seen any evidence to suggest that is not true. I have about 8 or 10 Parkerized RS pistols, and have examined several dozens over the years. All have had blued barrels.
    Hootch56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer View Post
    Matching wear patterns on a barrel, receiver and slide can be a good indication that a barrel is original. However, if we found a couple nice, high condition Colt pistols with Hi Std. barrels which displayed perfectly matching wear patterns and no conflicting wear patterns from different barrels... I still would not believe the Hi Std. barrels were original to the guns.

A phosphate barrel is, IMO, not an original finish barrel and would be considered incorrect...just as incorrect as a Hi Std., Flannery Bolt or Springfield Armory in a Colt pistol.

A barrel can be replaced in a pistol very early on, before wear patterns ever really develop. If an incorrect barrel is installed and the pistol is fired a bit, wear patterns will develop that would technically match the pistol. Chuck Clawson listed what were believed to be "correct" barrels for different pistols and serial ranges. His footnote at the bottom of p. 132 assumes you are using his information on that page regarding the chronological order of barrel markings. His footnote simply means if you are in a transition serial range where two different markings may be correct, the wear patterns can indicate if the barrel is correct (original to the pistol).

Previously, on p. 104, Clawson states "All barrels were blued. Parkerized barrels were either refinished or manufactured after the war." I've not seen any evidence to suggest that is not true. I have about 8 or 10 Parkerized RS pistols, and have examined several dozens over the years. All have had blued barrels.
    Well we all have learned lot since the Clawson books came out by sharing information on the net shows ect . I have plenty of blued small G barrels laying around and am not making the gun fit the book ! I would be willing to bet the two Karl and I have are not the only two that left Colts that way and the barrels were changed to fit the book !

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
    Is there a reference that mentions Colt using a batch of phosphate/Parkerized barrels, or is all this based on finding a nice Colt with a nice Parkerized barrel? We have all found parts together that we know doesn't belong together even though their condition matches perfectly.

Colt has blued their military contract barrels since the beginning of production of the Model 1911 to the end of production of the 1911A1. With the change from heat blue to phosphate ordnance specifications called for a Du-Lite blue finish on the barrels, so why use a batch of barrels that didn't meet specifications?

You can blue over phosphate but you can't phosphate over blue, and why would Colt refinish parts already finished?

Small G blued barrel. Several blued small parts being used up after the change from blue to phosphate finish.

Johnny as you know there are many things we as collectors have found to be correct on these pistols that either is not in the books or is flat-out wrong in the books ,one thing right off the top of my head is the highly debated mags that belong in the 38-41 blued a1`s.The more I collect the more I learn and I bet we are all not done learning yet ! I will tell you the same thing I told Scott I have many loose blued small G barrels and I am not going to make the gun fit the book like others have done over the years only to find out later they were wrong by doing what they had done to the pistol it . The Clawson books and Dr Scotts books are the best info out there and if you were to ask either of them ( if Chuck were still alive ) they both would tell you there are things that are probably wrong in there books in fact people tend to over look in the first few pages of both books the statements both authors make as a disclaimer if you will saying the contents of the books are based on in Scotts books information in his book is based on documents found not by examples observed . And Chucks books have something of the same sort in the first few pages but Chuck based a lot of info on some subjects in his books on examples observed because there were no documents found pertaining to the subject like barrel markings .If this pistol were not so clean and correct and has a short list of owners I would think differently about the barrel but I am convinced it left Colt this way and I am not taking the barrel out and hope more come forth with one they own or know of one !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links