1943 M1911A1 sold for over 10K !
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TexasYankee
  • 1 Post By snakeman99

Thread: 1943 M1911A1 sold for over 10K !

Member #
    Liked
    300 times

1943 M1911A1 sold for over 10K !

Did anyone else see this one that recently sold? Seems a bit high. What am I missing here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow" Johnny Cash

Member #
    Liked
    1544 times
    2 bidders wanting it bad. Maybe worth $4k imo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    Those same two bidders drove this up to over three times its worth:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813195252

And I think there are others by the same seller.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    This gunsrc seller has been discussed quite a bit on other threads. He has an interesting following that don't seem to mind paying a lot more money than others with a lot more experience.

I don't know how GunBroker hasn't looked into this more carefully considering the consistent over bidding between a few/similar bidders within each of these auctions. I guess GB is getting their money out of it so they may not care but you would think reputation would mean something for the seller or the platform?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    That seller and his #1bidder spiritlaker make this forum about once week..I think the high bidder on the one above is taking over while "ole shilling spirit" takes a vacation
    Rick Bowles likes this.

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Some of his guns are unusually fresh-looking as well. If this is the same Colt I saw earlier there isn't even so much as a scuff mark on the chamber hood.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    346 times
    After a close look at that picture, I'd have to say it looks suspiciously like a refinish. The parts that should have a darker finish like dulite on that gun...i.e. slide stop, thumb safety, and hammer all have the same green park color as the rest of the gun. That doesn't look normal to me and goes contrary to nearly every one of the guns in my collection.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
    After a close look at that picture, I'd have to say it looks suspiciously like a refinish. The parts that should have a darker finish like dulite on that gun...i.e. slide stop, thumb safety, and hammer all have the same green park color as the rest of the gun. That doesn't look normal to me and goes contrary to nearly every one of the guns in my collection.
    Other members (more knowledgable than me) suggest a bit of "photoshopping" may be involved. This would explain some of the odd looking finish observations in many of their auctions.
    Hootch56 likes this.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman99 View Post
    Other members (more knowledgable than me) suggest a bit of "photoshopping" may be involved. This would explain some of the odd looking finish observations in many of their auctions.
    Photoshopping images of an item for sale may not be quite as bad as passing off a fake or refinished item as original, but it's still being very dishonest. I've bought guns off of GB with noticeable nicks or scratches on them, then went back to the auction wondering how on Earth I didn't notice it. I know that pictures can often hide a multitude of sins, but from the camera angles I could tell there was no way the damage couldn't have been visible. Of course they could've dropped it while boxing it up for me...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links