1914 Govt. Model from Lewis Bros. Hardware Montreal, Canada
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1914 Govt. Model from Lewis Bros. Hardware Montreal, Canada

Member #
    Liked
    48 times

1914 Govt. Model from Lewis Bros. Hardware Montreal, Canada

If there are any Canadian Contract experts around I need an opinion. I have heard that some Can. Contract pistols went through the company mentioned above. They did sell Colt pistols and mine letters to them according to the Colt historian in a lot of 25 shipped August 16, 1914. This pistol which is a 4 digit serial number falling withing the 5,000 Govt. Model Canadian guns was either issued to or bought by a CEF officer and used overseas mostly in France.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    2540 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 312_Main View Post
    If there are any Canadian Contract experts around I need an opinion. I have heard that some Can. Contract pistols went through the company mentioned above. They did sell Colt pistols and mine letters to them according to the Colt historian in a lot of 25 shipped August 16, 1914. This pistol which is a 4 digit serial number falling withing the 5,000 Govt. Model Canadian guns was either issued to or bought by a CEF officer and used overseas mostly in France.
    312_Main,

Clawson covers the 5000 GM Pistols sold to Canada, from 11 Sep 1914 through 14 Nov 1914, in his GM book on page 135.

COLT shipped the first 2000 GM Pistols to the "Government of Canada, Department of Militia & Defense, c/o J. Wesley Allison, Waddington, New York" (Clawson). There were six shipments for these 2000 pistols, from 11 Sep 1914 through 2 Oct 1914, in the range (C3000-C9700).

The additional 3000 Pistols, in three equal shipments, "were shipped through H. W. Brown in Quebec, Canada" (Clawson), from 31 Oct 1914 through 14 Nov 1914, in the range (C7900-C13500).

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan3; 06-05-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    824tsv, Rick Bowles and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2303 times
    Yes, there was a small number shipped to Lewis Bros.
    C9785 Letter - Copy.jpg
    stan3, RPD57, Rick Bowles and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Thank you for the info. My books also show the division and story of the 5,000 Canadian Contract pistols but no actual mention anywhere about Lewis Bros. I'm wondering if anyone has seen any specific mention of them relating to the contract. Lewi Bros. was a very large wholesaler selling a wide variety of stock. I believe my Govt. Colt was shipped a month prior to the earliest dates I have seen for CC guns. That being said, my pistol was shipped to Lewis only 12 days after war was declared by Britain so likely not meant as a CC pistol but very likely the Canadian Govt. lost no time in rounding up every available Colt from any known sources.
    Last edited by 312_Main; 06-08-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    2303 times
    Please post a copy of your letter.
    stan3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Sorry about the sideways pic. Here are a couple of pics of the pistol which I estimate at about 90% for condition.

stan3, SHOOTER13, kwill and 2 others like this.
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    8536 times
    A beautiful example of Colt / Canadian WWI militaria...

Congrats !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    2540 times
    312_Main,

Thank you for the pictures (Pistol And COLT letter)! Nice!

Your statement: "....was either issued to or bought by a CEF officer and used overseas mostly in France." Do you have additional information/history (you can provide) on Who initially acquired this Pistol from Lewis Brothers and Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada?

Best Regards,

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stan3 View Post
    312_Main,

Thank you for the pictures (Pistol And COLT letter)! Nice!

Your statement: "....was either issued to or bought by a CEF officer and used overseas mostly in France." Do you have additional information/history (you can provide) on Who initially acquired this Pistol from Lewis Brothers and Company, Montreal, Quebec, Canada?

Best Regards,
    You have asked the million dollar question The gun was bought by OR issued to Captain Wiliam J Taylor, who signed his CEF attestation papers on September 2, 1914 in Val Cartier, Quebec, about 200 miles from Montreal. I have provenance on the gun directly through his family. It would help to know if the Govt. Colts were issued to officers with box and cleaning kit included as I have the original box & kit with serial # in grease pencil on the bottom of the box. Unfortunately the box is in pieces but the serial # shows plainly. I plan to do a full pictorial on Colt Autos in the near future. If they were issued without the box we would have a good idea that he bought it directly from Lewis hardware.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 312_Main; 06-10-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    2540 times
    You have asked the million dollar question The gun was bought by OR issued to Captain Wiliam J Taylor, who signed his CEF attestation papers on September 2, 1914 in Val Cartier, Quebec, about 200 miles from Montreal. I have provenance on the gun directly through his family. It would help to know if the Govt. Colts were issued to officers with box and cleaning kit included as I have the original box & kit with serial # in grease pencil on the bottom of the box. Unfortunately the box is in pieces but the serial # shows plainly. I plan to do a full pictorial on Colt Autos in the near future. If they were issued without the box we would have a good idea that he bought it directly from Lewis hardware.

Thoughts?
    312_Main,

Interesting!

Can you show us what you have of the box, particularly the serial number and the labels (outside and inside)?

Some say it is easier to research government records in Canada (and that they are/were very good at documentation).? There might be government records of purchases from Lewis Brothers and Company?

Best Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links