Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dsk
  • 1 Post By CLASSIC12

Thread: New colt custom high polish stainless 1911 information

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

New colt custom high polish stainless 1911 information

Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with the new high polish colt custom 45acp 1911. Are they really a custom shop gun ? Is the quality what it should be from a custom shop 1911. I really want to make a BBQ gun out of one of these pistols , but only if they work as well as they look. Thanks I. Advance for information. I have a few older govt models and a couple gold cups , but man would I love a fully engraved BBQ Gun.

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrk1111 View Post
    Hey guys, does anyone have any experience with the new high polish colt custom 45acp 1911. Are they really a custom shop gun ? Is the quality what it should be from a custom shop 1911. I really want to make a BBQ gun out of one of these pistols , but only if they work as well as they look. Thanks I. Advance for information. I have a few older govt models and a couple gold cups , but man would I love a fully engraved BBQ Gun.
    If you're going to have it engraved why spend the extra money up front for a high-polished one, when the finish will get all cut up and need redoing afterwards anyway? My understanding is that the high-polished 1911s are simply taken from the production line and given to the skilled polishers at the Custom Shop for the finish.
    deyomatic likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    998 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    My understanding is that the high-polished 1911s are simply taken from the production line and given to the skilled polishers at the Custom Shop for the finish.
    Dana is right. I bought two of these brand new and they did not come in a custom shop box. The finish was called "Ultimate Bright Stainless Steel" and they were made 1986-1996 (Model O1071). They can occasionally be found on Gun Broker. The only thing I changed on this one was a Wilson Combat trigger and the grips. l still have the original grips and trigger.

Last edited by texagun; 06-12-2019 at 07:19 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7872 times
    Generally an engraver will need to bright polish a gun before engraving, because polishing after degrades the engraving.
    This is based on what I learned from the engravers at watchmaking school back in the 60's.

Possibly it's done differently today, or different engravers do it different ways.
    My suggestion is to contact whoever you plan on using to do the engraving and ask them what they think.

Based just on what little I know about the art, I'd think you'd save money if the engraver didn't have to do the bright polish either before or after the engraving if the gun was already given Colt's Master level bright polish finish.
    All the engraver would need to do is engrave what's already there.
    This would especially be the case if you're only going to have partial coverage and the engraver would have to have the rest of the gun polished.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 06-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Dfariswheel has the best advice... contact your chosen engraver first and find out what he would prefer to work on before you go and buy the actual firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you guys. I will take this to heart and contact an engraver. I want a High polish BBQ gun so bad . I am weak and cannot help myself. Just ask my wife.

dsk

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Yeah, but how good a BBQ chef are you? Otherwise this is all for naught...

Member #
    Liked
    1440 times
    I own this 1992 bright st st GCNM, I think it already stands out as is

And it’s a good shooter too (25 m)

KellyCB11 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I used to have one of the bright stainless 38 Super versions, with "Colt Custom" on the slide. The former Custom Shop manager posted that they were not custom shop guns. Beautiful finish work, but just production guns otherwise....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links