Colt Forum banner

New 1903 Pocket Hammerless barrel

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  DeaconKC 
#1 ·
I was looking at replacement barrels for a 1917 production .32 Pocket Hammerless, there seems to be two sources, US Armament Corp (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/barrel-parts/barrels/colt-1903-barrel-32-acp-prod104838.aspx) and In Lead We Trust (https://inleadwetrust.com/product/1903-colt-32-acp-replacement-barrel/)

Anyone have experience with either? Both state they may require minor fitting, what exactly would that involve?

#3 ·
Thanks. I saw a Colt original at Numrich, but in looked pretty rusty in the photo. Then I noticed that it said it was a stock photo of a used barrel, so I went ahead and ordered one for $72. If the bore is OK I'll keep it, if not, it will be returned and I'll order a new replacement.

#8 · (Edited)
I just bought my 1903 on Saturday. Overall, probably 70% finish (looks close to Homerfans pic in post #4), had a little speckling, but no deep pitting. Seems to be sound mechanically, except it appears that someone dropped it on the muzzle. This ding of displaced metal extends to the bore, making it not quite round.

I was looking for a shooter grade, not a museum piece, so I figured at $260 plus the price of a barrel I could have what I am looking for.

If the Numrich barrel is in bad shape I can return it. It is good to know that if that is the case, I have a quality alternative.

#9 ·
Same here just wanted a shooter when I ran across this one in a pawn shop. Thought it was Hard Chromed when I saw it in the display case but after inspection found it had been spray painted a light gray. Everything worked but the barrel rifling was toast. After an acetone bath, new springs, and a barrel shoots like a champ and it looks pretty decent now in my opinion. Fun little autos...…
Firearm Gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun accessory

#15 ·
The gunsmith I have used for various things has a minimum charge of $25, and an hourly rate of $50. He is flexible and doesn't try to break my back when I need help.
Most jobs are fairly simple for a qualified 'smith, especially when new parts fitting is not an issue.
He has solved problems instantly for me from time to time, and only I had to give him something for the bits I got from his re-purposed parts boxes.
I have not ever attempted to fix something like a dented muzzle, but I will probably do it in my little downstairs ordnance section if it ever becomes necessary to use the dinged up one I have.*
My shop has several pieces of equipment that would be necessary for such work, i.e., lathe, mill, drill press. I have hydraulic and mechanical presses and a bunch of cobbled up jigs to do AKs with.
I have done a lot of my own work on a lot of my stuff, but I usually stop myself before I even think about taking tools to some of my real nice stuff. Crude, simple work on hardware that is already somewhat screwed up is where I am most comfortable.
Not including Colt DAs, which drive me nuts.
Your local 'smith can help you.
Don't be afraid to drop a little coin on you firearms. It is cheap money well spent.
Firearms are high performance machines of the highest order, and will require maintenance & repair from time to time.
*I should do a before & after of it and just go do it.
Stay tuned.
When I finally get to it, it will be in the 'hammerless' thread and probably the coltsmithing section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.