New 1903 Pocket Hammerless barrel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New 1903 Pocket Hammerless barrel

Member #
    Liked
    77 times

New 1903 Pocket Hammerless barrel

I was looking at replacement barrels for a 1917 production .32 Pocket Hammerless, there seems to be two sources, US Armament Corp (https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/barrel-parts/barrels/colt-1903-barrel-32-acp-prod104838.aspx) and In Lead We Trust (https://inleadwetrust.com/product/1903-colt-32-acp-replacement-barrel/)

Anyone have experience with either? Both state they may require minor fitting, what exactly would that involve?

Member #
    Liked
    1351 times
    I bought one from In Lead We Trust. It was as simple as taking out the old barrel dropping in the new. Functions perfect. Regarding the fitting, I could only guess that some guns may have corroded/ rusted or damaged frame barrel slots and not be able to accept the new barrel locking lugs easily. Anyway, good luck.
    ei8ht and jeepnut711 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Thanks. I saw a Colt original at Numrich, but in looked pretty rusty in the photo. Then I noticed that it said it was a stock photo of a used barrel, so I went ahead and ordered one for $72. If the bore is OK I'll keep it, if not, it will be returned and I'll order a new replacement.
    ei8ht likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    331 times
    I bought a .380 Pocket Hammerless barrel from In Lead We Trust. It dropped right in, and has functioned perfectly.

ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    33851 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Homerfan View Post
    I bought a .380 Pocket Hammerless barrel from In Lead We Trust. It dropped right in, and has functioned perfectly.
    Most Excellent Choice....
    Rob's barrels are drop-in every time.

ei8ht®
    kenhwind and 73shovel like this.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Member #
    Liked
    8373 times
    Be aware that even a sewer pipe will shoot in a model M. The slug may exit the muzzle sideways, but iut will still put a hole somewhere near where you want it.
    The real question with such a wrecked barrel is the condition of the chamber.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4032 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ei8ht View Post
    Most Excellent Choice....
    Rob's barrels are drop-in every time.

ei8ht®
    He had one listed on eBay back when he was making them, I almost bought it.
    From what I've seen of used barrels listed on eBay, I'd just buy a new one, unless you had some rust bucket that needed a bulged barrel replaced.

For some reason with these old .32 Autos, not just Colt's as my friend had a Ruby, the bulged barrel seems to be more common then with other calibers
    ei8ht likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I just bought my 1903 on Saturday. Overall, probably 70% finish (looks close to Homerfans pic in post #4), had a little speckling, but no deep pitting. Seems to be sound mechanically, except it appears that someone dropped it on the muzzle. This ding of displaced metal extends to the bore, making it not quite round.

I was looking for a shooter grade, not a museum piece, so I figured at $260 plus the price of a barrel I could have what I am looking for.

If the Numrich barrel is in bad shape I can return it. It is good to know that if that is the case, I have a quality alternative.
    Last edited by JN01; 06-25-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    oberon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1351 times
    Same here just wanted a shooter when I ran across this one in a pawn shop. Thought it was Hard Chromed when I saw it in the display case but after inspection found it had been spray painted a light gray. Everything worked but the barrel rifling was toast. After an acetone bath, new springs, and a barrel shoots like a champ and it looks pretty decent now in my opinion. Fun little autos...…
    IMG_1495.jpgIMG_1496.jpg
    oberon, stan3 and DeaconKC like this.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    That turned out nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links