Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Four Colt 1905's

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5465 times

Four Colt 1905's

Several years ago my wife and I attended a show in Kansas City. Late in the day on Sunday a gentleman came by my table and said I guess there are no 1905's in the show. Told him there was at least one. It was on my table and happened to be cut for the shoulder stock. He asked if I would like more. Told him yes. Turns out he had nine. We arranged to meet down in Kansas after the show. He told me up front, it was all or none. Met in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere. Picked out a few I wanted. Was promptly reminded it was all or none. Mentioned I didn't have enough money for all of them. Had to ask my wife how much cash I had. It was well short of the total. He asked if I had a checking account. Said I did, but not enough money to cover the balance. Long story short, got all nine. Wrote him a hot check with the agreement I would let him know when it would clear. He hands me all nine pistols and told me to call him when the check was good. It must have been my honest looking face. Unfortunately I could not afford to keep all of them. It was fun to have them while I could. Here are four of the nine. Can't find my picutures of the group.
    Last edited by mentallapse; 06-29-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    645 times
    Nobody would make up that story

Pretty cool
    SHOOTER13, oberon and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9027 times
    Superb " wheelin' & dealin' " My Friend !!

ei8ht and oberon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Wow, Very nice.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3524 times
    None of those pictured have cylinders, so I'm assuming they're automatics. So they are Model 1905s, how do you distinguish between those that have hammer spurs and those with rounded hammers? In my fuzzy clouds of memory, one is the Sporting Model, and 'tother is Military Model?

Bob Wright
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2720 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWright View Post
    None of those pictured have cylinders, so I'm assuming they're automatics. So they are Model 1905s, how do you distinguish between those that have hammer spurs and those with rounded hammers? In my fuzzy clouds of memory, one is the Sporting Model, and 'tother is Military Model?

Bob Wright
    Bob

The 1902 Sporting and the 1902 Military are .38ACP autos. The Sporting had the same high spur hammer as the Model 1900 mixed in with the round stub hammer until Colt used the spur hammers up in mid-1904, the round stub hammer was then used for the remainder of production, ending in 1907. The stub hammer was used on the 1902 Military until the end of 1908 and then was replaced by the low spur hammer for the remainder of production, ending in 1928.

The original stub hammers on the .45Acp Model 1905 had been replaced by several different type later spur hammers as of the later part of 1908, c. sn 3615.

Al

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    546 times
    "Honest looking face"? It must be angelic!
    mentallapse and ei8ht like this.
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    Bob

The 1902 Sporting and the 1902 Military are .38ACP autos. The Sporting had the same high spur hammer as the Model 1900 mixed in with the round stub hammer until Colt used the spur hammers up in mid-1904, the round stub hammer was then used for the remainder of production, ending in 1907. The stub hammer was used on the 1902 Military until the end of 1908 and then was replaced by the low spur hammer for the remainder of production, ending in 1928.

The original stub hammers on the .45Acp Model 1905 had been replaced by several different type later spur hammers as of the later part of 1908, c. sn 3615.

Al
    Understand. And thank you.

Bob Wright

Member #
    Liked
    4347 times
    Great story. Extremely rare to even see two 1905s in one spot much less nine. I wonder where the other 5 went? Why did you decide to keep these 4 rather than one or more of the other five?

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Fascinating story with a happy ending. Congrats on that Colt arsenal score.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links