My latest Colt, but...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My latest Colt, but...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

My latest Colt, but...

Just picked this one up, 1972 mfg Series 70 government. Unfortunatley one of the previous owners has messed up the grip screw bushings!! Yes, all four of them. . Is this something I want to try and replace myself or do I send it out..and to who..besides the factory to have them replaced. They appear to be the star design inside meaning that they are staked if I am correct. I do not want to do any damage on this job. Any suggestions??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    When you say "messed up", what exactly do you mean?
    Are they stripped?
    Gunsquirrel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9808 times
    'You' can turn them out pretty easily - all it takes is torque - a fat screwdriver blade that fits, or a 'Vise-Grip' is all you need just tape the frame well.

Get new ones, clean the threads, and use 'Loctite' after the removal's been done.
    MarkInTx, Ginge, arjay and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    If the threads are stripped inside the bushings just order new bushings and unscrew the old ones from the grip frame. Screw the new ones and do not over tighten them that would cause the threads in the grip frame to strip.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Yeah its pretty straight forward. No different than swapping the bushings for slim grips. If they come loose just put a drop of blue thread locker on them and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oberon and Gunsquirrel like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    One screw goes in slightly canted, does not go down completely. All of them have almost stripped heads from using the wrong size screwdriver on them. One had the bushing attached to it and the grip screw head is all messed up, must have tried holding with regular pliers. Do you know if these are the "staked" versions that were used? That is my concern in getting them out.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    And vise grips it was!! Got the remaining 3 out with no issue.They all had been ruined with the wrong size screwdriver. Will clean the one bushing hole out with a tap to clean the threads, just hoping they didn't mess it up..
    oberon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9808 times
    Trust me - my 'fix' works on these with no problem - the threaded area is the thickness of the frame - they 'will' extract easily.

Member #
    Liked
    253 times
    As long as you're replacing them, you may want to look at Challis bushings - they really are a better mousetrap. I discovered them when I switched a Wiley Clapp from slim bushings to regular ones - now I won't use anything else. If your holes in the frame are messed up, they also have oversize taps and bushings.

Challis Grips
    oberon, 824tsv and arjay like this.
    With regard to the 2nd Amendment, I'm "the people," not "the enemy."
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Austin Rifle Club Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    4032 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsquirrel View Post
    And vise grips it was!! Got the remaining 3 out with no issue.They all had been ruined with the wrong size screwdriver. Will clean the one bushing hole out with a tap to clean the threads, just hoping they didn't mess it up..
    The threads are non standard and you will not find one at a hardware store. Brownell's is you friend here, they have the tap the bushings, a Magna-Tip bushing driver tip as well as oversized taps.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links