Conversion Unit problem
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By JudgeColt

Thread: Conversion Unit problem

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Conversion Unit problem

I bought some GSG 22lr magazines for my Service Model Ace (1980) and they work perfectly.

I picked up a Colt Conversion Unit as part of a recent trade (came with an aftermarket JUNK magazine) but while using the GSG magazines feed rounds every time AND extract empties every time except when the gun goes click and the primer does not ignite. This happens 2-3 times per magazine.

A restrike on the round will ignite the powder. No need to reposition the round in the chamber - just thumb back the hammer.

Using CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain solids. No failures with this ammunition to fire with any other gun - semi auto, revolver, or rifle.

Borrowed 4 Colt magazines and shot 300 rounds. NO failures to chamber, fire, or eject.

Conversion Unit was thoroughly cleaned/lubed (dry floating chamber) before use.

CHANGED out the barrel/floating chamber in the Conversion Unit. Using the GSG mags the SAME PROBLEM exists.

Any idea why failure to fire occurs with the GSG magazines but not with the Colt mags. Like I said the GSG mags work in the Service Ace without failure.

The Conversion Unit has been used on a 45acp Series 70 frame and my Service Ace frame.

rmc

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1470 times

Thumbs down

I heard about GSG mags. I have three of them,they do not work in my 1978 SM Ace. I got a few failures to feed and they
    seat hard NOT using them anymore. No sense for me. You don’t put 87 octane in a Ferrari. Use Colt only. Pete
    Last edited by sturmgewehr; 08-06-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sturmgewehr View Post
    I heard about GSG mags. I have three of them,they do not work in my 1978 SM Ace. I got a few failures to feed and they
    seat hard NOT using them anymore. No sense for me. You don’t put 87 octane in a Ferrari. Use Colt only. Pete
    Too bad your GSG mags don't work. I added the base pads to make seating easier. I don't use my SM Ace hard but it loves the GSG mags and they were a lot less than Colt mags. My Ferrari wins races with 87 octane. My Conversion Unit stalls a lot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3917 times
    Neither reply has addressed your question. MY SPECULATION is that the GSG magazines put extra drag on the slide coming forward to chamber the round, causing the round not to be seated fully in the chamber. The cartridge then moves forward a bit when struck by the firing pin, causing a light strike. The round becomes fully seated with the first strike and easily ignites on the second strike.
    (The Service Model Ace apparently has slightly different tolerances, lessening drag on the slide so as not to prevent the round from being fully seated.)
    arjay, kenhwind, 29aholic and 4 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    Neither reply has addressed your question. MY SPECULATION is that the GSG magazines put extra drag on the slide coming forward to chamber the round, causing the round not to be seated fully in the chamber. The cartridge then moves forward a bit when struck by the firing pin, causing a light strike. The round becomes fully seated with the first strike and easily ignites on the second strike.
    (The Service Model Ace apparently has slightly different tolerances, lessening drag on the slide so as not to prevent the round from being fully seated.)
    That is good information. Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1470 times
    Neither reply has addressed your question.
    I wasn’t trying to address anything,I was stating the fact they don’t work in my pistol. If they work for someone else,that’s
    fine.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    532 times

I was thinking something similar. The mag might somehow be holding the slide ever so slightly out of full battery. Check for rub marks on mag and slide.
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    FWIW--my Nelson conversion wouldn't work at first on my Series 80 frame--the slide would not close with a magazine inserted. The problem was that the magazine was sitting too high in the gun, bearing against the unit's ejector and pushing that part up against the slide as it tried to close. Careful removal of material from the notch in each magazine solved the problem and this conversion is now among the most reliable 22s I've ever owned.

Member #
    Liked
    374 times
    I was thinking your problem lies in the "fit" of the GSG magazine to your pistol, too..................

Judge Colt stated his, and my thoughts very well................

I agree with judge Colt

Tom

Sponsored Links