Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Recent acquisition

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    392 times

Recent acquisition

I saw this pistol up for auction by Fugate Firearms in Kentucky. It is an Colt 1911A1 that was built into a competition pistol by Springfield Armory in the early 60's, in my opinion. I have owned a couple of these built on Remington Rand frames and Ithaca frames. I have never been able to purchase one that was built on a Colt frame. This particular specimen was built on a 1945 production Colt frame with a Colt National Match hard slide. This particular one has a Triangle rear sight with US marking on the left side and the front sight is silver soldered in place. The markings on the side (SA) indicating it was built at Springfield, (T) indicating it was targeted and passed muster which means 3.5" group from a machine rest with GI Match Hardball or 2.5" group with GI issued 185 grain wadcutter ammunition. These groups were fired from a machine rest at 50 yards. The trigger guard on the right front has NM stamped on it. The receiver and barrel are matching serial stamped. The slide behind the firing pin stop has the last 4 digits 3611 stamped 2 digits above and 2 digits below the firing pin hole. The barrel bushing has the correct electro pencil "3611" etched on it. This particular pistol had two things that I had not seen before in these pistols. First the slide stop is an older checkered variety. And second the mainspring housing was an earlier Colt checkered variety. The lanyard ring had been removed at some point, probably after the gun was sold. Fortunately, I had a lanyard ring and pin that was about new and replaced that item. The grips that arrived on this pistol were pretty badly abused walnut panels that were not in the same condition as the pistol. Since I intended to use this as well as keep it in my 1911A1 collection, I replaced the grips with a set of used Colt plastic panels that I had on hand. I prefer plastic panels for my using pistols. One thing that all 3 of the pistols like this that I have had have in common is the Ithaca serrated hammer is used in the build. Apparently the NM armorers at Springfield liked those hammers. The trigger on this pistol has a clean crisp break at a hair over 4 lbs. This conforms to rules for the Hardball Match. Competitors usually had 3 pistols for the competitions ...a 1911 Hardball gun, a Centerfire gun ( need not be a 1911 type) and a .22 rimfire. When I competed in my youth, I used the same gun for Hardball and centerfire. I changed out my recoil spring and adjusted my sights between the matches. I suspect a lot of competitors did the same. I couldn't afford a rimfire so I only shot in the first two disciplines.

When these pistols were built there were two prime contractors for NM barrels and bushings..... Colt and Harrington and Richardson. The others I have owned and several that I had built all had Colt barrels and bushings. This one has a H&R barrel and bushing in it. When I received this pistol and went through it, I was sure it had been fired but not much. The barrel has almost all of it's original blue and the exterior has virtually no dings or finish wear or signs of use. I couldn't have been more pleased. Everyone always wonders when pistols are posted so I will say that my winning bid was $1625 which I felt was a screaming bargain. After I went through it and confirmed the slide has the serial under the firing pin stop and the barrel bushing had the number etching on it inside, I was even more pleased. I suspected they were there. This is so far below what the current asking price for these pistols is, that it is a wonder to me that I won.

fullsizeoutput_293.jpegfullsizeoutput_296.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flintsghost; 08-10-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Correct error
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    Great pistol...!
    ei8ht and mentallapse like this.
    Cheers, RSColts

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    flintsghost,

Congratulations! Do you have U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols by Jenkins? If your barrel is original to the build you have a 1965 NM Pistol.

Jenkins indicates the only difference between a 1963 NM and a 1965 NM is the H&R barrel. "The barrel is the only component which sets the 1965 apart from the 1963 pistol."

Here's a 1963.

Best Regards,

Last edited by stan3; 08-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5486 times
    I have dealt with the Fugates over the years. Have always been pleased.
    sumthin_nu and ei8ht like this.
    It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21720 times
    A real bargain!!
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stan3 View Post
    flintsghost,

Congratulations! Do you have U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols by Jenkins? If your barrel is original to the build you have a 1965 NM Pistol.

Jenkins indicates the only difference between a 1963 NM and a 1965 NM is the H&R barrel. "The barrel is the only component which sets the 1965 apart from the 1963 pistol."

Best Regards,
    I do have Jenkins book and other material that refers to the NM's but I haven't taken the time to look anything up. The barrel is original to the pistol and is serialed to the pistol with a stamped number below the NM drawing number on the hood. Bushing is electro-penciled with the last 4 also. I knew from the rear sight it was pretty late but I hadn't gotten around to researching it. I bought it to shoot even though I thought it would go well in my collection.
    Last edited by flintsghost; 08-08-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    stan3 and ei8ht like this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    Most likely, these are the Stocks that most of the U.S. Military Match Automatic Pistols were shipped with (from SA). (These 31-32 row Walnut Stocks are not hard to find.)

824tsv, ei8ht and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mentallapse View Post
    I have dealt with the Fugates over the years. Have always been pleased.
    I wonder if the Fugates are related to the famous Fugate family of Kentucky (the blue people).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5486 times
    The blue people of Kentucky is an interesting read.
    ei8ht likes this.
    It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

Member #
    Liked
    14610 times
    cloverleaf, ei8ht and stan3 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links