Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 824tsv
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: colt grips help identify

Member #
    Liked
    100 times

colt grips help identify

Just purchased this set of 1911 grips. Are they mismatched or what ? iI have never seen this type of medallion the wood the grips are made of are a match but the medallions don't .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Certainly one of those medallions has been replaced....that is, if your certain the wooden grips are a match set.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    The one on the right looks like the medallions on the Thai repros I have. The one on the left looks a lot more "right" to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4040 times
    A picture of the other side will show whether one of the medallions is a replacement.
    The grip on the right appears to be the standard Colt style medallion, the one on the left might be from some commemorative.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    I'm pretty sure the medallion on the left are on 80s and 90s pachmeier revolver grips. I think they are on an older king cobra I have.

Member #
    Liked
    3282 times
    They are mis-matched
    The medallion on the left is known as the "Serpentine" Colt Medallion that was installed in the rubber pebble grain grips on Colt autos in the late 80's-early 90's. The medallion on the right is the standard rampant Colt medallion.
    arjay likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7812 times
    During the Colt 150th anniversary they used the large pony medallions with a "150" on the medallion with the large pony.
    For several years after that they used the large pony without the "150" then went back to the small pony on the globe.

I suspect these came off two different guns... the one on the right either before or a few years after the large pony medallion period.
    The large pony medallion grip a couple of years after the 150th anniversary.
    arjay likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Thanks For the helpful answers. The back side post is the same flair as my other colt grips. The color and wood grain the grip panels appear identical

Sponsored Links