1903 Colt saved from destruction, General Officers Pistol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 1903 Colt saved from destruction, General Officers Pistol

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

1903 Colt saved from destruction, General Officers Pistol

I am looking for information on a 1903 Colt General Officers Pistol in 32 ACP Serial #568438, parkerized with blued magazine. A very good friend called and advised that his neighbor had a "firearm tragedy" Due to this horrible event he decided to have his one and only handgun destroyed. Since it said "US Property" on the side my friend asked his neighbor to hold off as the handgun may have historical value. I met and purchased the 1903 General Officers Pistol. It belonged to General Schlatter. My research shows he was not made a General until the 1960's and found a pic of LBJ pinning on his star. Further research advised he won a Bronze Star as a Major in the Philipines in WWII. My question is how can I find if this pistol was issued to someone else first and then re-issued? I would like the history so it can remain with the pistol. I see it as a historical item to ber preserved and passed to the next generation.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Sarge View Post
    I am looking for information on a 1903 Colt General Officers Pistol in 32 ACP Serial #568438, parkerized with blued magazine. A very good friend called and advised that his neighbor had a "firearm tragedy" Due to this horrible event he decided to have his one and only handgun destroyed. Since it said "US Property" on the side my friend asked his neighbor to hold off as the handgun may have historical value. I met and purchased the 1903 General Officers Pistol. It belonged to General Schlatter. My research shows he was not made a General until the 1960's and found a pic of LBJ pinning on his star. Further research advised he won a Bronze Star as a Major in the Philipines in WWII. My question is how can I find if this pistol was issued to someone else first and then re-issued? I would like the history so it can remain with the pistol. I see it as a historical item to ber preserved and passed to the next generation.

Brunner's "The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols II" only lists Colt 1903 s/n 568438 as being issued to BG N. F. Schlatter in 1965.

I've emailed Rock Island Arsenal and will post any additional information.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Thank You. It seemed strange it was made in the 40's but not ever issued until 1965 but I am sure you are correct. Thank You. Is there away to get a letter of authenticity?
    hoya74 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    11726 times
    It may have been put into service, later turned in, refinished if needed, and then reissued as a G.O. pistol. All did not originally go to a G.O.
    Lucky Sarge likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Sarge View Post
    Is there away to get a letter of authenticity?
    Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to get a letter of authenticity from the government. A Colt letter would most likely indicate it being delivered to the Springfield Armory.
    Lucky Sarge likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4642 times
    Even a Colt factory letter doesn't actually authenticate a pistol. It only verifies what the factory records say about the production and shipping of a serial number.
    Lucky Sarge likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Welcome to the forum. Great pistol and a great find! Looks like it was issued to Noble F. Schlatter (b.2/15/1917), Indiana National Guard.
    Lucky Sarge likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Thank You Robert. Yes I was fortunate to get the call on this one. Military Colts or military in general is not the theme of my collection but I hate to see our heritage and history destroyed TOO MUCH OF THAT HAPPENING.
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Ronald,
    What is the Legacy Collectible Listing?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You are right Ronald. Looks like an oversight in L.C.'s description of Stilwell's 1903. Glad they posted the documents associated with his pistol which sets things straight. Sorry to have seen that one go but you can't keep them all.
    Lucky Sarge likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links