3rd Model Woodsman Magazine Catch (will first model work?)
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By prewoodsman
  • 1 Post By prewoodsman
  • 1 Post By prewoodsman

Thread: 3rd Model Woodsman Magazine Catch (will first model work?)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question 3rd Model Woodsman Magazine Catch (will first model work?)

Woodsman_Mag_Catch.jpg

I have returned a decent 3rd Model Woodsman to use. All-in-all, a neat package... BUT.. The mag catch is even more clunky than for a Ruger MkII.

Can this style of a [I think...] First Model magazine catch replace the third model magazine catch? I'd like to have somewhat easier time of dropping a mag.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    The magazine catch you display was original to the 2nd Series Challenger and carried over into the 3rd Series Woodsman for a period of time.
    The negative issue with the Challenger style Lever Magazine Catch is did not need much of a bump to drop the magazine into the dirt and for some a lost magazine.
    The Lever style magazine Catch will not directly fit the later 3rd Series Mainspring Housing, by design.
    However, if you exchange your newer Mainspring Housing for an earlier model than indeed a conversion will be achieved.

I would ask, what exactly is your "clunky issue" with the snap catch that Colt felt was superior to the earlier lever model?

Regards,
    Tom Platt
    PICARDIE likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question

Quote Originally Posted by prewoodsman View Post
    "clunky issue" with the snap catch that Colt felt was superior to the earlier lever model?
    The third model's catch is narrower than a Ruger MkII's catch. I am NOT looking for Tacticool, nor am I recreating the period aura of mystery with the Woodsman being a covert weapon. Having a release that might be easier to use is of interest.

I would love a Second Model's 1911-like mag drop, but a third model will do, nicely.

If a second model mainspring housing is swapped in, is there any other related parts that must be "downgraded? Is the sear spring from the third model compatible with the second model sear spring?

EDIT: looks to be another Challenger type mag catch, instead of a one piece forging, it has the catch part attached with a screw.
    Woodsman_Mag_Catch_01.jpg
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/185420 out of stock
    Last edited by ardent-blue; 08-13-2019 at 08:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    An Original Colt Factory Woodsman Lever Magazine Catch Assembly(part #50881) is a spring and lever held together via a rivet and not a screw.
    Both of the models you display are aftermarket
    Trust their are a couple of Aftermarket Magazine Catches one should avoid.

Click to enlarge.

Magazine Catch Lever Type 009 - Copy (2).JPG

On your 3rd Series with a Snap Catch Magazine Catch you would remove the Spring and replace the pin which is the also the lower Mainspring Housing Locking Pin.
    And, remove the actual Catch Lever and leave its mounting pin out.

Sear spring are identical for all Colt Woodsman 2nd and 3rd Series Pistols.

A visit to Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at: www.colt22.com
    There you will find the related manuals that will for sure help in your understanding.

Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 08-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    PICARDIE likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quite useful, "avoid"...

I hit colt22 while looking for assembly instructions, and what he says

"major variations in all models of the Colt Woodsman line... Although there are many more variations... those details are far too numerous to include in an abbreviated guide such as this."

Seems appropriate. BTW, the third model catch is slippery when wet. Opening it is simple, but my thumb slipped on the catch while trying to close it over the magazine. Very well polished...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1017 times
    The 3rd Series with the Snap type Magazine Catch (part #51480) are readily available (I have a handful of them) and as such you should consider having one checkered/serrated for a better thumb hold. A project you may want to tackle on your own.
    Regards,
    Tom
    PICARDIE likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links