Are these magazines for a Colt ace?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Are these magazines for a Colt ace?

Member #
    Liked
    744 times

Are these magazines for a Colt ace?

Going through a bin of parts I bought and came cross some magazines. These two were marked Colt 22 long rifle. No reference to Colt ace like other mag I've seen What do they fit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    usgi1911A1 likes this.
    "You shot him in the back!!" "His back was too me." Van Leek

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    628 times
    Sure look like it,,, Sold my Ace a number of years ago but I’m about positive that’s what they are, can’t be anything else I can think of.
    Docneeley likes this.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    Those mags will work in any Colt Service Ace. They are actually out of a Colt 22 conversion Kit, probably Post 1950.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    744 times
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    "You shot him in the back!!" "His back was too me." Van Leek

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3901 times
    Those are Service Model Ace magazines, NOT Ace magazines. Magazines marked that way on the base plate first came into use in the late 1940s, after Colt quit using magazines with Service Model Ace markings. They were used in Conversion Units until the removable base plate magazines were adopted in the late 1970s. Early Post-War Service Model Ace pistols also were shipped with that style of magazine.

Do you want to sell them?
    Docneeley likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    Those are Service Model Ace magazines, NOT Ace magazines.
    Exactly. There is a big difference between the two.
    Life Member NRA-1974
    Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—-“
    I had a commission USNR from 71-77 but do not consider myself a Vet
    My Dad and his four brothers USMC,WW2,Korea,Vietnam were Vets
    Email.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    392 times
    fullsizeoutput_12a.jpegfullsizeoutput_12d.jpeg

I think Judge Colt is correct in most of what he says but is incorrect in saying that post-war Service Ace Pistols shipped with that type of magazine. According to Clawson that magazine showed up in 1947 with the advent of the new unserialed conversion units. I have one of the last conversion units that is serialed #2640 which is 30 serials from the end of production and it came with a Service Model Ace Magazine. I have one of the few hundred Service Model Ace pistols that was shipped in 1945 from Colt. Serial number is SM12439 and it came out with a Service Model Ace magazine. This pistol is one of the pistols from the Craig Baravalle collection that aided Clawson in his research for his books. To say that this magazine was used 2 years before it was actually shipped out of Colt in the new unserialed conversion units is a bit too much of a reach for me. Additionally, Those magazines weren't being shipped to the Government for replacement use, if at all, much later. I have a new in the wrap 22 caliber magazine that came from the stocks at Rock Island Arsenal as a replacement in the mid 50's. When I unwrapped the bottom, it was not only a Service Ace Magazine but an earlier one, all blued with a steel floorplate. This differs from the two that came in my SM Pistol and my Conversion Unit from 1945, that had aluminum Service Model Ace floorplates and followers. I do have a serial numbered conversion kit in my collection that is much earlier, U919 from around '40-'41, and it had a two tone steel floorplate Service model Ace magazine.
    Last edited by flintsghost; 08-14-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    usgi1911A1 likes this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    521 times
    For sale?
    "One does not sell Colts , one buys Colts! "

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
    Those mags will work in any Colt Service Ace. They are actually out of a Colt 22 conversion Kit, probably Post 1950.
    +1

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3901 times
    Apparently, flintsghost is forgetting that the Service Model Ace was reintroduced in 1978 at serial number SM14001. The subject magazines were shipped with those Post-War Service Model Aces.
    kenhwind and 824tsv like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links