Colt 1911 BB (barrel Bushing)-transitional pre-series 70 (1970) $?
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By JohnnyP
  • 1 Post By kenhwind
  • 1 Post By flintsghost
  • 1 Post By usgi1911A1
  • 1 Post By kenhwind
  • 1 Post By kenhwind
  • 2 Post By Radicalrod

Thread: Colt 1911 BB (barrel Bushing)-transitional pre-series 70 (1970) $?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times

Colt 1911 BB (barrel Bushing)-transitional pre-series 70 (1970) $?

The title says it all. Just looking for any info on these you guys might have. I've Googled it, read all about them, etc... Trouble is, I have a friend who has one in "shooter" condition. 100% correct, no box/pw, etc. I'd give it a conservative 70% with some edge wear all around. "Coke Bottle" reddish brown grips, short serrated trigger, narrow serrated hammer, arched mainspring, polished flats, dull remainder, "BB" marked frame and barrel, collet bushing, etc..etc.. He will not allow me to photograph. As usual, its hard to to search for this specific pistol on GB,GA, or GI because its an unusual transitional model and dang-it...when I use "BB" I find pellet guns!

Anyhow....Do you guys have any experience with these as far as value? In other words... Whats it worth? I have only found a few sold examples and they were mostly "as-new" or pretty close to it & even those sales were several years old. Fairly historical Government model in my opinion. I hate not to investigate it a little at least!

Opinions?

Member #
    Liked
    11616 times
    Most people wanting the BB variation want it as a variation for their collection, and are looking for high condition. In 70% condition I would not expect it to bring much of a premium over a standard pre 70 Series Government Model.
    Sparebux and Malysh like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4201 times
    I had one on my watchlist it looked pretty good and was bid up over $1,300 iirc. I think I deleted it so cannot post a link.
    https://www.gunauction.com/buy/16715548

Colt
    Sparebux likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    451 times
    The pistol that Jack the Dog just sold, had a Kraft box with a colt label on it. The box was probably phoney. If you read the description and look at the pictures that pistol had a lot of issues including the wrong grips and small spot of corrosion on it in various places which Jack noted in his description. That probably helps with the value though. I have one that I bought years ago and then traded to ColtHo in Idaho. When he got ready to sell it he put it on the classifieds here and I bought it back from him. It didn't have a box or papers but it is probably unfired outside the factory and in 99% condition. All of these "BB" versions should have the standard pre-70 series plastic medallion grips. There has been one on the web on Guns International for quite some time that went begging at $2500 if my memory serves me correctly. You can find reference to them in Clawson's commercial book on page 80. Clawson states there were 1400 to 1500 of these pistols made. The exact number is unknown.
    Sparebux likes this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times
    Thanks to all. I believe I would insult this guy if I made a reasonable offer. Moving on, lesson learned. Interesting pistol though! I just might have to find a good example one of these days! This one just has too much wear on her.

Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I have one 1970 BB model with original box near 100 percent condition, I think I paid for $1600.00 many years ago.
    Sparebux likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4201 times
    The link I posted, I didn't read up on it, as I knew I wasn't going to get it. When I posted the link I realized that the stocks were incorrect.
    Interesting version for a collector, but I'd personally be more interested in a pre-1970's version.
    Sparebux likes this.
    Ken

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1483 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind View Post
    The link I posted, I didn't read up on it, as I knew I wasn't going to get it. When I posted the link I realized that the stocks were incorrect.
    Interesting version for a collector, but I'd personally be more interested in a pre-1970's version.
    Still an interesting example. It had some pitting also. Otherwise, a nice ole' 1911!

Member #
    Liked
    4201 times
    I use to think, and still do to some extant, that one of these "BB" marked Colt GM pistols would be nice to have. But in reality I have my original Series 70 that was bought new in 1972, as well as another that was bought a few years ago, so a ashooter its kind of redundant.
    I like the post WWII-pre 1970 rollmarks on the standard GM, and that can now be accomplished by buying a New "Classic."
    Sparebux likes this.
    Ken

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5310 times
    Well doesn't the "BB" pistol have the C suffix serial number like the other pre series 70 pistols ?

Then the series "70" started with the prefix of 70...I have one but haven't looked at it for a while....RR
    Sparebux and ei8ht like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links