• 1 Post By JohnnyP

Thread: US&S 1911A1 questions

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2536 times

US&S 1911A1 questions

I apologize for the poor cell phone photography. Saitclair and I previewed two US&S .45s that will be for sale soon from an estate. The first gun has all correct parts but has "M1911 A1 US Army" on the right side of the slide like a double stamped Ithaca. Could this gun have left the factory with this slide or is it a replacement?

US&S2 (2).jpgUS&S (2).jpg

The second gun is a rebuild marked AA on left side. Late production with slide and frame matching but barrel, MS housing replaced.

US&S AA (2).jpg
    saintclair likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11469 times
    There is always the slim possibility that the US&S left the factory with the replacement slide, but I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of one. During the time the Shotgun News was being published there was a large ad for new and unissued US&S slides. Every one that I saw or heard of had the replacement slide markings. It would probably be hard to convince most collectors that the US&S with a replacement slide was original.

Some of the old serial number lists incorrectly started the US&S serial number range at No 958101. A lot of the Shotgun News replacement US&S slides ended up on Remington Rand receivers receivers in the range incorrectly noted as US&S, even causing some authors to credit FJA as being an "inspector" at US&S since his initials were on the receivers of the pistols incorrectly attributed to US&S.

There is the good possibility that the AA rebuild has been force matched at some time.

Both pistols would have originally been DuLite blue over a sandblasted finish.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2536 times
    Thank You JohnnyP The finish appears original on both. If we buy them, I will post better pictures.
    Last edited by Hootch56; 08-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1751 times
    Does the US&S slide marked M1911 A1 have a P proof on top?

Does anyone know if the spare slides were proof marked by themselves? I’m guessing they weren’t but can’t say I ever paid enough attention to them to know.
    USMC 1996-2002

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd1978 View Post
    Does anyone know if the spare slides were proof marked by themselves? I’m guessing they weren’t but can’t say I ever paid enough attention to them to know.
    mpd1978,

All replacement slides examined have had the "P".

Best Regards,

P.S. Also, Clawson indicates they were marked with the "P" (page 40, Collector's Guide). (FWIW, Meadows indicates US&S did not use replacement slides to assemble Pistols, page 143, 1920 - 1945.)
    Last edited by stan3; 08-16-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2536 times
    It is proofed. Thanks Stan.
    stan3 and mentallapse like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2536 times
    JohhnyP or Stan3 do the grips on the gun with the replacement slide have the correct grips based on what you see? I see yours has no flat rings JohnnyP.

Member #
    Liked
    11469 times
    The two serial numbers shown would have come with the later Keyes stocks with rings.
    Hootch56 likes this.

Sponsored Links