• 2 Post By OctopusHighball
  • 2 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 3 Post By ItalianColtLover

Thread: Colt 1991 DAO Double Action Only

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Colt 1991 DAO Double Action Only

Hello everyone, very excited to finally partecipate in this forum, I am from Italy and have been the proud owner of a 1911 45 for years( beautiful gun) but now i purchased my second Colt ,a Colt 1991 double action only that i just bought NIB... I am wondering if anyone out there wouldn’t mind helping me in finding out few info besides the scant infos on the web...
    Does anyone knows how many were produced for instance? Or a little more beside the basic stats?
    many thanks in advance !
    GB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23073 times
    ei8ht and Kilowatt3 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    23073 times
    ei8ht and Kilowatt3 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    Saintclair, tried to send you a PM with a question about these but doesn't seem to be working on my end, Can you send me a PM. Thanks, Mike

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    The link to that thread will give you about all the information you will need.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thank you very much all for your very helpful and insightful replies!!!
    saintclair and Kilowatt3 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianColtLover View Post
    Thank you very much all for your very helpful and insightful replies!!!
    Would like to add your info to the spreadsheet. Post here or in the other thread so the spreadsheet can be updated!
    Kilowatt3 and saintclair like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - Not much there yet, but working on it...

Member #
    Liked
    381 times
    Greetings, GB! Welcome to the forum!

Jim here - in Southwest Louisiana. I'm one of the guys in our tiny 'clique' of DAO afficionados here on the Colt Forum. @saintclair has provided you with some good links to previous discussion, and you can do a search on "O1991DA" and probably find a little more info. @OctopusHighball is graciously maintaining the spreadsheet of pistols that we've been able to obtain, or have at least seen online or in person. I've gotten ahold of several of the Government Model DA's, but regrettably, no New Agent DAO!

So far as we've been able to determine, there were about 300 of the GDAO's made, and about 100 of the New Agents. They're extremely rare here in the U.S., and I'd venture a guess that there are no more than a handful in Europe. Great find for you!

You said your O1991DA is NIB. You might consider keeping it that way! I don't generally believe in "safe queens", but there's an exception to every rule, and as rare as these pistols are, this might be one of them! I'm fortunate enough to have a "shooter", but the first two GDAO's I got were NIB and it was driving me nuts wanting to shoot one of them, but not wanting to diminish the potential collector value. Finally got one LNIB that I wasn't afraid to shoot!

One thing to look for is whether your pistol is marked "Lightweight" on the right side of the slide. It seems that the pistols with the "Lightweight" rollmark were earlier production, and are considerably rarer than those without it. Note also whether your slide has the cutout on the left side for a thumb safety. Although the GDAO's did not have a thumb safety, I believe that there were a few made using regular Government Model slides that had the notch for the safety. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum! It's a great place with a lot of great guys who generously share their expertise and experience. Hope you'll hang around, and help to keep the conversation alive regarding the Government Model Double Action pistols!

Very best regards,
    Jim
    Regards,
    Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Combat Cmdr .45, Spec. Combat Govt. .45, Det. Spec. .38, 6" Python .357 x2, Agent .38, Army Specials in .32-20, .38 Spc., & .41 LC, Police Positive Spec. .32-20, LE-6920MP

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thank you for the Post, i tried to include my info but the excell was “ view only” ... i am not that good with technology anyway ( sorry) ... my Colt Government is a black one with serial number GDAO1306 on the right side ( no other markings), on the left it says Colt’s government model- double action with below the smaller print colt... hartford CT ... etc, no other markings anywhere else. I figured i purchased a normal one but it is beautiful to me, i am sorry for the “collection value” but i could not help shooting it, a real pleasure ... maybe i just need a second one now 😎
    thanks again !

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links