Like Tree140Likes

Thread: 1944 1911A1 GHD inspected

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1431 times

1944 1911A1 GHD inspected

Considering buying this A1. You guys know who you are.... let me know what you think! I'll be glad to answer any particulars as i haven't many pictures yet but rest assured, I've given it a good once over!

IMG_4844.jpgIMG_4843.jpgIMG_4842.jpgIMG_4841.jpgIMG_4838.jpg

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1431 times
    ei8ht, usgi1911A1 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    435 times
    The hammer is a Ithaca and definitely wrong. This pistol should have a wide Colt checkered hammer based on the guns in my collection and Clawson. The narrow checkered Colt hammer doesn't show up until in the 169xxxx serial area. The barrel should be a Colt and probably with an F on the bottom of the chamber and standard Colt 45 Auto on the lower left of the chamber and P on the left side of the link lug.
    usgi1911A1 and ei8ht like this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Hammer is wrong thin long spur with serrated. For that serial number range it should have short wide spur checkered. Thin long spur checkered don't start around serial number range 1673000, other than that whole gun seem to be correct to me. Need more photo to see better on finish surface and interior. What is the barrel marking? Magazine?
    Sparebux and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    flintsghost got me by a few minutes lol.
    Sparebux and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4580 times
    The hammer is not necessarily wrong. Colt used some serrated hammers. I've examined a few other Colts with the serrated hammers besides the ones I own. This one came from Chuck Clawson's collection. An actual inspection would have to be done to determine if all the wear patterns appropriately match. BTW, the information on the hammers manufactured by Gray Mfg. is in the Clawson book.

ei8ht, RSColts, binggo and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Gahimer View Post
    The hammer is not necessarily wrong. Colt used some serrated hammers. I've examined a few other Colts with the serrated hammers besides the ones I own. This one came from Chuck Clawson's collection. An actual inspection would have to be done to determine if all the wear patterns appropriately match. BTW, the information on the hammers manufactured by Gray Mfg. is in the Clawson book.

Scott,

A bit off-topic but have you ever done a thread on your lighting and photography setup?

OP,

That is what looks like a solid war era 1911A1! Here is it's cousin! This a Colt I have had for a long time but haven't really posted or shared much.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    ei8ht, RSColts, binggo and 7 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2035 times
    My 1944 Colt M1911A1 is about 7300 numbers higher than the one posted by Sparebux and it has the wide spur checkered hammer. The barrel however is from an earlier gun as it has the G marking on the underside. I suspect that was a barracks switch sometime in it's time in service. Other than that it is as issued.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    what would be the correct letter on the underside of the barrell to match a 1104xxx frame number (I believe to be 1943) My barrel is marked f underneath and p on the lug. Is it original 1943?

Member #
    Liked
    11406 times
    The F marked barrel would be correct in the serial number range of your Colt.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links