Coltwood Shrinkage Question
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Coltwood Shrinkage Question

Member #
    Liked
    1373 times
    This pair,on a 65 gm I bought a few years back,have shrunk a bit.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times

Question

i bought a pair of commercial Colt grips, with the mottled colors running through them, probably 25-30 years ago. They have not shrunk at all. Perhaps they are of '48-'50 vintage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    i bought a pair of commercial Colt grips, with the mottled colors running through them, probably 25-30 years ago. They have not shrunk at all. Perhaps they are of '48-'50 vintage?
    rock185,

Perhaps.? Show us the backs?

Best Regards
    73shovel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22133 times
    I believe the Coltwood grips were made from Nylon. Most Nylons contain a plasticizer that keeps the material flexible and tough (resist cracking). That plasticizer is lost with time and causes shrinkage and some brittleness.
    arjay, Maicobmw and Hootch56 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saemetric View Post
    How about the early post war Type 2 Woodsman stocks (1948) ? Do they shrink.
    No. The early post-WWII grips are durable and fit well without shrinkage. They are solid, not hollow like the later ones, and have a multi-colored swirl appearance. Colt called them Coltwood. The later ones were injection molded plastic, but Colt continued to call them Coltwood. The first of the injection molded type had the same multi-colored swirl pattern as the previous Coltwood type, but were otherwise quite different. The next iteration was apparently the same except for being a chocolate brown color.
    saemetric and arjay like this.
    --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    “IT SHRINKS?”.... quoting Elaine Benes
    arjay and Maicobmw like this.

Member #
    Liked
    463 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saemetric View Post
    “IT SHRINKS?”.... quoting Elaine Benes
    "Like a frightened turtle."
    Last edited by Tom K; 09-05-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Hootch56 and Walter Rego like this.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times

Question

The ones I acquired years ago have not shrunk and have a hollow back, so these would be what era? Thx

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
    The ones I acquired years ago have not shrunk and have a hollow back, so these would be what era? Thx
    rock185,

Nice Picture. These Stocks are not Common!

Your Stocks are an early variation of the "injection molding" process. (For those that have it,...see page 63 in Sheldon.)

"The new injection mold method along with the new resins eliminated the brittle characteristic....but, unfortunately, the marbling effect became very difficult to duplicate in this process. Early examples of stocks made by the injection mold process will display some indication of color swirling, but gradually, the color evolved into a dark brown and remained that way until the end of production in 1971." (Sheldon p. 62)

It seems that Stocks up to around 1954 tend to shrink very little. By that time they were brown.

So, most likely, (due to the marbling) your stocks would be post mid-1950 for....? (Maybe a few to several months.? Lessee if we can get some pictures of original Pistols!? From mid-1950 up to where they turn BROWN.)

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan3; 09-11-2019 at 02:11 AM.
    rock185 and 824tsv like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    436 times
    I believe that it is possible that the climate that the pistol resides in may have a lot to do with how bad the stocks will warp and may be an overlooked variable in this equation. My 1970 "BB" Colt has had the same stocks on it since I acquired it in the late 80's at a Denver Gun show. It left my possession when my online friend ColtHo (lives in Idaho) got it from me a few years ago and then I got it back this year. As far as I know the stocks have never been off of it. On the other hand, I purchased a 1966 Colt last weekend through and online auction out of Maryland. The stocks are shown and described as being warped terribly and show same in pictures. They are narrow rings and plain brown by the way. I purchased a commander from 1951 out of Michigan a year ago and it had had the original stocks removed sometime previous due to a desire for pachmayr rubber. They came with the gun and look fine in the picture but they wouldn't set flat with a 10lb weight on them. Fortunately for me, I acquired a moderate stock of replacements from a friend some years back which while they have shrunk just a tad, can still be fitted to pistols without too much shrinkage showing. While I'm sure that some stocks have more shrinkage than others due to manufacture, I think that humidity and storage conditions should also be considered.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links