Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Coltwood Shrinkage Question

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Coltwood Shrinkage Question

Regarding the colt wood bakelite grips on the 1960's era Government Model and LW Commander, I was wondering if they will inevitably shrink to the point of cracking? It is also my understanding that it is better to leave them on the gun because if they are removed to preserve they will shrink to the point they will no longer fit, is that correct?

Thanks
    JD

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5409 times
    Bingo... You're better off leaving them on the gun.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    1110 times
    And YES...I have seen them crack while still on the gun...
    USMC - 1970's

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    7882 times
    The Coltwood grips are not Bakelite, they're an early plastic..... Styrene I think.

One person I knew made up wood planks with 1911 bushings installed so he could prevent shrinkage on his collection of WWII grips.
    Maicobmw and arjay like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    436 times
    I personally think there are more than one type of material in these grips. I have noticed in my collection there are 7 Commanders and 5 Governments that have that type of grips. Some seem to shrink even when they are kept on the gun they came on. Others exhibit no shrinkage at all. The ones that don't shrink are even brown colored. The ones that do are a motled brown with other colors in the plastic. Some are quite striking. In all the years I've had some of these, I've never had one crack.
    rock185, Maicobmw and OD like this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    11463 times
    The WWII Coltwood stocks did not shrink. Whatever the substitute plastic was (it wasn't Coltwood even though that was what Colt called it) that Colt changed to in the 1960 time frame did shrink to varying degrees. Some only shrank enough to elongate the screw holes, while others shrank enough to split out the screw holes.

While unissued WWII Coltwood stocks will still fit a WWII Colt pistol perfectly, the 1960's era stocks don't have to be off a pistol but a short time to no longer fit.
    arjay, Maicobmw, az_colt and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1438 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flintsghost View Post
    I personally think there are more than one type of material in these grips. I have noticed in my collection there are 7 Commanders and 5 Governments that have that type of grips. Some seem to shrink even when they are kept on the gun they came on. Others exhibit no shrinkage at all. The ones that don't shrink are even brown colored. The ones that do are a motled brown with other colors in the plastic. Some are quite striking. In all the years I've had some of these, I've never had one crack.
    Yes - the solid "Hershey brown" ones are a different material and don't shrink.
    Maicobmw and 73shovel like this.
    ---
    "Bridgeport?" said I, pointing.
    "Camelot," said he.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2834 times
    The early (earlier 1950s) injection molding process Stocks with the smaller/thinner circle around the screw hole seem to be more stable (less prone to shrinkage) than the later thicker/larger circle. (See COLT'S Super .38, by Sheldon, page 61.)
    73shovel likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    794 times
    How about the early post war Type 2 Woodsman stocks (1948) ? Do they shrink.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saemetric View Post
    How about the early post war Type 2 Woodsman stocks (1948) ? Do they shrink.
    saemetric,

Here's some late 1948 through mid 1950 Model O (Commercial) Stocks. They do Not Shrink.

Best Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan3; 09-03-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    73shovel, ei8ht, rock185 and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links