Colt Forum banner

New to colt, help with the government .380

525 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  356robo 
#1 ·
I'm new to Colts, but not new to handguns, and am looking to buy a Government .380 in stainless, and don't want to make a mistake in my pruchase. After searching the forum, and not finding the answer, I will ask these questions. In the Government .380 line, are there years of production that are more desirable than others? Was 1997 the last year of production.

Thanks in advance to all,

Rob

#2 ·
According to Blue Book of Gun Values production of the Colt Stainless .380 Government ran 1989 - 1997. Some people believe during the Colt employee strike years; roughly 1986 to 1990 the quality can be questionable. Many including myself have strike year guns that are just as well made as the non-strike year productions. The best advise is to evaluate each piece individually regardless of the year made. Good luck.

#4 ·
I own two of these Government .380s, both nickel but can not answer your specific questions. Not sure when my guns were made but they both are top notch, good, reliable shooters with above average accuracy for pocket pistols; consistent head shot at 20 yards. One of my two guns has seen very hard use since I got it in 1990 or so and has stood the test; lots of sweaty pocket and ankle carry, extreme dusty conditions. The nickle is still bright and the gun has never failed.

#6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I was in one of those "don't know what I don't know" situations, and your replies have helped me gain some confidence before I take the step of buying a Government .380. Any comments from other will be gratly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.