Colt Forum banner

New addition satin nickel 1979 Combat Commander with original box & paperwork

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mseagle 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to post another nice pistol I just pulled out of an old collection. A satin nickel Colt Combat Commander with its original box and all the paperwork. Other than a light idiot scratch, the pistol is in outstanding condition and nice to find it with the box. I have no idea what these are bringing in this condition. Also, I've heard they are somewhat scarce? Any information would be greatly appreciated. First one I've had the pleasure of owning. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice pistol. I'd say that one should bring around $800. Blue Book of Gun Values notes that the Satin Nickel is a scarce finish. Don't really know where they got the information but I think it's a fairly common finish during that time. I see way too many of them to be really scarce. I personally like the finish but some don't. It tends to scratch easily with usage and the scratches are next to impossible to fade without ruining the factory finish look. I also noticed it's a later one. You say 1979; Colt Serial Number Look-up says 1980 which is in line with the type of box label and the Blued trigger with Blued Grip Screws. Anyway, congratulations on a great piece.

#7 ·
Nice!

I've got one pretty much identical to it I bought brand new, vintage 1978. I think the $800 figure is WAY low! I've seen a couple of them priced at close to twice that in the last couple years. Granted, those were asking prices and I have no idea if they actually sold, or for how much.

Mine's in very nice condition, and if I saw one like it for $800 I'd be sorely tempted to buy it! YMMV.

#8 ·
Agreed, folks tend to ask more than what these are currently going for. A few years ago they went for higher but not so much today. The OP has a nice example in the original package but condition is everything with these. It is nice but the obvious field strip mark (AKA; idiot scratch) is a distractor and from the pics it also appears the grip frame may have some scattered marks which are very common on these. I like these models and have multiple. If it were in 9mm or 38Super caliber those would tend to bring a little more value. I have no idea of the production numbers but the 45acp seems to be the most common one found. Anyway, like I stated earlier it's a great piece. The OP should be proud of it.

#9 ·
I bought one new in 1978. Cute as a kitten in the gun store case. I thought it was Colt's answer to SS maybe. What I found is the Satin Nickle scratched very easily even showing holster wear quickly. Then one could only love the tiny silver sights and no local gun smith would touch one where I lived back then. I ended up not shooting it much and trading it in on a Detonics in 1984. Don't miss it and do not want another one.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought mine in 1978 new-in-the-box for $260 out the door. I soon found out the tiny sights that came on the gun were pretty much worthless. I took it down to MMC in Ft. Worth and had some of their combat sights put on it. Then off to my favorite gunsmith for some work on the trigger. The gun shoots great now that I can see the sights. I still have the original Colt grips that came on it. I personally like the finish on these guns. They will show every scratch if you don't take care of them. Mine has never seen a holster but it has been fired quite a bit. Pricing is varied on these guns, depending on condition. I see them occasionally for $800-1000 for one in mint condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.