Barrel for an early 1911
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Barrel for an early 1911

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Barrel for an early 1911

Hello to all you members. My name is Harley and I live in the San Francisco bay area. My interest is semi-automatic pistols, particularly those prominent in WWI and WWII. I recently purchased a near mint 1911 manufactured in 1912. It has an excellent condition of later vintage barrel that I would like to replace with one that is near mint and correct for a December 1912 date of manufacture. Any suggestions for a search for such a rare item would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.....Harley

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3053 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardleyever View Post
    Hello to all you members. My name is Harley and I live in the San Francisco bay area. My interest is semi-automatic pistols, particularly those prominent in WWI and WWII. I recently purchased a near mint 1911 manufactured in 1912. It has an excellent condition of later vintage barrel that I would like to replace with one that is near mint and correct for a December 1912 date of manufacture. Any suggestions for a search for such a rare item would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.....Harley
    Hardleyever,

Welcome to the Forum!

A near MINT correct Barrel for a COLT Army in the range 15000 - 17250.? A vertical "H" without serifs barrel in that condition will be very difficult. IIRC, have not found one (loose) in that condition in searching over 30 years.

You can regularly search ebay and GB,...one might show up.? Although, it might be better to search for a slightly used Pistol that has been poorly stored and acquire the Pistol for the barrel.

Do you know the difference in the barrel you're looking for and some of the 1916 COLT M1911 barrels?

If you can,---Show us Your Pistol !

Best Regards,
    Last edited by stan3; 10-02-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stan3 View Post
    Hardleyever,

Welcome to the Forum!

A near MINT correct Barrel for a COLT Army in the range 15000 - 17250.? A vertical "H" without serifs barrel in that condition will be very difficult. IIRC, have not found one (loose) in that condition in searching over 30 years.

You can regularly search ebay and GB,...one might show up.? Although, it might be better to search for a slightly used Pistol that has been poorly stored and acquire the Pistol for the barrel.

Do you know the difference in the barrel you're looking for and some of the 1916 COLT M1911 barrels?

If you can,---Show us Your Pistol !

Best Regards,
    Thank you, Stan3. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum so please bear with me. My pistol is no. 13876, Penfield inspected, round rear sight and circle colt marked on the 1911 patent date slide. You are correct in that an "H" on the rear of the barrel extension would be ideal. Second best would be a horizontal H on the top of the barrel with or without a P on the rear of the barrel extension. Third would be with a horizontal P and H on the barrel top.

I hope this reply worked! Pics will be added when I figure out how to get it done.

Thanks again...Harley

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3053 times
    Thank you, Stan3. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum so please bear with me. My pistol is no. 13876, Penfield inspected, round rear sight and circle colt marked on the 1911 patent date slide. You are correct in that an "H" on the rear of the barrel extension would be ideal. Second best would be a horizontal H on the top of the barrel with or without a P on the rear of the barrel extension. Third would be with a horizontal P and H on the barrel top.

I hope this reply worked! Pics will be added when I figure out how to get it done.

Thanks again...Harley
    Hardleyever,

No 13876 is one of 500 (13501 - 14000) shipped 15 Nov 1912 to Commanding Officer, Augusta Arsenal, Augusta, GA.

Here's the barrel you are looking for (but, Not the Condition). Your second choice (transition between your 1st and 3rd choice) are more difficult than your 1st. Nice "horizontal P and H on the barrel top" occasionally show up on ebay and GB.

Best Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan3; 10-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    824tsv, 73shovel and Rick Bowles like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22749 times
    Here is one I own that also is not in excellent condition. Mine does not have the H on the rear.

Member #
    Liked
    3814 times
    There are 2 picture posting tutorials in the Photos Area Forum. Look for the "Sticky"s in the top half of the main Forum page.
    stan3 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Pics attached, I hope!! They are not great but you will get the idea.IMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0574.jpgIMG_0573.jpg
    kenhwind and RSColts like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3053 times
    Pics attached, I hope!! They are not great but you will get the idea.
    Hardleyever,

Yes, sometimes it is difficult to identify details from pictures.

Here's some details on one about 300 numbers before 13876. At that time, the serial number was stamped after the final metal polish and is raised above the surface. And the W.G.P. inspection stamp is also raised above the surface. (Note the metal polish on the receiver.)

1912 Stocks had 15 rows between the diamonds (3rd picture, this picture is a 1912 around 4000). 4th picture is Colt 1918/1919 13 row stocks on the right with reproduction 13 row on the left.

Best Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan3; 10-03-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    824tsv and Rick Bowles like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11756 times
    The pictures tell the story. I was trying to think of a nice way to put it that the pistol was refinished.
    Recusant, 824tsv, Kurusu and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10165 times
    There's no nice way - not really - the nice way is to not leap on the piece as some do, in a sense of schadenfreude, and that didn't happen here.
    prewar likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links