Delta elite
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Delta elite

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Delta elite

hello, been on here for a little while but have not posted and would just like say i purchased a delta elite last week and took it out Saturday and had problems with armscor ammo not ejecting the spend casing but went to sellier & bellot and had no problems except out of 12 mags the slide only locked back once. i purchased 2 extra colt mags when i bought the gun and called Colt this morning and they are sending me another to see if that is the problem, i also ordered 2ea-chip mccormick and metalform to see if the problem is the magazines, Colt has a 4-6 week lead to repair anything so try this first. Has anyone had a problem with the slides on a delta?

thanks
    Mosby, krag96 and Tomray like this.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Give the gun 1000 rounds before you expect it to run flawlessly. The same goes with any autoloader. Iíve been buying and selling Delta Elites for 25 years and can assure you they are fantastically reliable gunsÖ But it takes a little while for them to break in to the point where the slide will reliably lock back on the last shotÖ Particularly with low-grade ammo you are using. The factory spring set up attempts to cover the widest range of ammunition possible, and you are shooting at the lower end of what that spring is designed for.

Iím not faulting you for using it, as when I donít feel like handloading I use both of those as well. The S&B stuff is so crappy that most of the time my Dillon canít knock out the primer on the decapping stage. Itís fun to shoot, but please donít judge your gun based on how it runs with that ammo. I canít believe Colt sent you another magazine! Well played on that sirÖ

Your gun is absolutely fine and Iím sure your magazines are as well. Shoot the crap out of it, clean it less often than you think you probably need to, and itíll last generations.
    Last edited by Uplander; 10-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.
    Mosby and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Not I said the first little piggy....but have only run a 100 rounds or so.
    WVCOLT and krag96 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2605 times
    Welcome to the forum Mars. I’ve got one Delta Elite which I bought new about six years ago. Mine is the slightly older model before they did a couple of upgrades. The newer version has a dovetailed front sight where mine came with a staked front sight. Well the only problems I have had are the front sight came loose and the slide refusing to lock back after the last shot in the magazine more often than not. I sent the pistol back to Colt for them to install a dovetailed sight and check the slide lock issue. It took longer than expected to get it back but the front sight came out nice. The problem with the slide lock continued. I’m far more familiar with revolvers but I did notice that the slide lock itself seemed too short to be activated by the magazine. A call to Colt’s resulted in them sending me a new slide lock and e problem went away. Many, many rounds through the pistol since and I don’t think the issue has come up even once. As far as ammo other than a couple of boxes of factory stuff I shoot pretty much only hand loads. No problems with either.

Tom
    WVCOLT, 824tsv and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2537 times
    I have a Commander that works with all my mags except one Shooting Star and one Wilson 47D. Those 2 mags work in all my other Model O’s, go figure. And I have lots of mags to check so it took awhile to test them.
    WVCOLT and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I appreciate all the input and will try some different ammo and see what happens, also I was impressed with COlts customer service I was asking for anything but did tell him I bought extra mags from them and he offered to send one and told me that fixes it he will send me another one. Will keep you posted on how it goes, I also have 2 Colt government 5" and a DW commander 45 act and have never had any problems but only used AE ammo in them. I do love the 10mm and will run some hotter ammo to see what happens

thank you again everyone
    WVCOLT, Uplander and krag96 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4267 times
    Give the gun 1000 rounds before you expect it to run flawlessly.
    Uplander at $.84 a round at LuckyGunner for Federal Premium 180 gr. Hydrashok (a darn good 10mm round) the cost would be $840.00 plus tax and shipping. It's one of my pet peeves that (and Colt doesn't recommend it with the Delta Elite) that a gun manufacturer "recommends" 250, 500, even a 1,000 round break-in of their particular pistol. If I spend $1,000 for a Delta Elite (last new one I bought was just under $1,000 from a Gun Broker Dealer; I would expect it to work right out of the box!

I had no issues with the 2nd Generation Delta Elite; until Colt issued a recall on the magazines shipped with the gun. The base plates were soft and easily bent. Colt replaced them free of charge. Mars it sounds like a magazine issue to me. Once you sort that out you should really enjoy your Delta Elite; but as previously mentioned - don't skimp on cheap ammo for it - it may (or may not) work for the range, but I recommend you feed it good JHP ammo.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Why on earth would you recommend premium priced 10mm ammo to someone just getting into the caliber?

10mm is cheaper than .38 Special at my local shops. Enjoy the cheap stuff.

I’m not sure what to say about your opinion that guns don’t need to be broken in for maximum reliability. Do you shoot Italian over/unders at all? How long did it take for the gun to break nicely without the need for additional force?

I have a really nice full build 1911 10mm that I’ve used in classes, a few Single Stack Classics and when I was younger a lot of IPSC and IDPA. When I replace the mainspring it usually won’t lock the slide back on the last round for the first few hundred rounds. That’s okay with me. I still trust the gun.

Likewise my LGS sometimes has Armscore for $15.99 per 50. It’s pretty darn reliable, but I don’t really care that sometimes it isn’t for that price.

Just talking if course- no hostility intended.
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4267 times
    Uplander - I didn't intend to make this into a "discussion" (heated or otherwise) either - about what ammo to use; nor did I recommend the OP use premium priced ammo for a break-in period of 1,000 as you suggested. I used it to illustrate, the high end, of 1,000 rounds of good ammo to break in the gun. Now that said - most of my handguns I own are "pre-owned" i.e. used. For a 1911 style depending on age/condition/function at the range I probably will replace all the springs (heck it's the only type of pistol I am confident enough to take it down to bare bones and replace the springs on!).

What I said is that a quality handgun (which I consider a Delta Elite to be) shouldn't need 1,000 rounds through it to make it reliable. Do I shoot Italian O/U Shotguns? No; I have some shotguns I use for home defense but not sport shooting nor hunting with them - the only time I ever shot trap and skeet it was at the Naval Station Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines Gun Club in 1972-74 when the carrier I was on would pull in there for a break from Yankee and Dixie Station. If I remember we were shooting Remington Semi-autos.

For some reason here in San Antonio, TX 10mm is hard to find on the shelf at stores but The Internet brings it home! I still have about 25 rounds of the original Norma 10mm...love that stuff.

We left Port Huron, Michigan (almost 5 years ago) after I retired from CBP; living there had its moments considering I'm originally a Buckeye and still a fan!
    krag96 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Congrats on the delta! I love mine. Got it in 2013. I mostly shoot my own reloaded ammo, but factory 10mm is all over the place. Some is overpriced 40sw and some is, in my opinion overpowered boutique ammo. I still use the dual spring set up in mine and even though I believe it’s rated as a 23lb spring, it is very heavy and lower powered ammo and link wristing can cause issues. I think in time it’ll run just fine once you settle on the ammo it likes C204D6ED-B916-41CE-BA6E-7356DA8F4B27_1570501957703.jpg9D755896-5F3C-4160-A9F9-FA4C7B21F243_1570501927629.jpg
    krag96 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links