US Coast Guard Woodsman Match Target Bullseye or other USCG Woodsman
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: US Coast Guard Woodsman Match Target Bullseye or other USCG Woodsman

Member #
    Liked
    4385 times

US Coast Guard Woodsman Match Target Bullseye or other USCG Woodsman

Looking for any Woodsman MT US Coast Guard marked pistols. In particular, any with NASA or TVA also inscribed. I own MT 8282 which was one of 2 shipped to Joseph Lorch on Feb 9, 1940 in a shipment of 2. In Bill Jenks book, US Military and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols he states these two MT Bullseyes were samples or gifts. Do you know of the other US Coast Guard marked in the shipment with my MT 8282? Or any info on who they might have been shipped or what their use was at TVA and/or NASA? Recreational shooting?
    22 MT 8282 USCG NASA.jpg22 MT 8282 US CG.jpg22 MT 8282 NASA.jpg

USCG Marked Woodsman 3rd MT:22 162037 TVA t.jpg22 162037S NASACoastG.jpg
    thecoltguy and ei8ht like this.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Nice

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22388 times
    NASA was not formed until October of 1958. Do you believe that NASA purchased a used Match Target Bullseye pistol?
    ei8ht and MarkInTx like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4385 times
    My opinion was that gov't agencies disposed of unwanted/unused equipment by first offering it to other gov't agencies that had a use for it. I know of one Woodsman Match Target with the Coast Guard and other markings (NASA) that purportedly was in the Dec 2-3, 2017 Rock Island Auction described as being sold initially via DCM about 1961. My memory may be a little fuzzy about this other 2017 Woodsman RIA pistol which had an auction estimate at $3500-5500. Does anyone have RIA info available??

In the early 1980's I was the logistics officer as a separate duty from my AFSC as a general dentist. I wrote the contract, with much help, for new equipment for a 32 operatory base dental clinic. The outdated equipment, if I remember correctly, went to various other agencies, whether for parts or for their use. The remaining were sold to the public, maybe at auction.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4385 times
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de.../colt-woodsman

This 3rd series MT Woodsman is also NASA and Coast Guard marked. Still would be nice to know why and when they went to NASA. I think for recreational shooting. Again, in my short career in the USAF, we could use gov't firearms after the proper training. Maybe NASA personnel used them for recreation?? saintclair - any knowledge or thoughts on these?

From the RIA 2017 auction. They say 85% for $4300. I got mine from Lowell Pauli - sat with him and his wife for an hour or two at a Colt Collectors Assoc show - he was a vast reservoir of info - but not on my NASA pistol.
    ei8ht and saintclair like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1964 times
    There were two Coast Guard marked shipments of 8 each first series MT Woodsmans. They were ENGRAVED (not roll marked, not electro penciled) with Coast Guard markings. Many years later a sizeable number of postwar Woodsmans with electro-penciled markings of various government agencies were sold via Shotgun News. The seller was a large dealer who regularly had large SGN ads. I no longer remember the name of the dealer, but I think I remember that they were in Arizona. Lowell Pauli bought quite a few of the guns, and at the time I really questioned his judgment. I was not the least bit interested in guns with electro-penciled markings of civilian agencies.
    --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22388 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tedm View Post
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de.../colt-woodsman

This 3rd series MT Woodsman is also NASA and Coast Guard marked. Still would be nice to know why and when they went to NASA. I think for recreational shooting. Again, in my short career in the USAF, we could use gov't firearms after the proper training. Maybe NASA personnel used them for recreation?? saintclair - any knowledge or thoughts on these?

From the RIA 2017 auction. They say 85% for $4300. I got mine from Lowell Pauli - sat with him and his wife for an hour or two at a Colt Collectors Assoc show - he was a vast reservoir of info - but not on my NASA pistol.

During my years at NASA in Hampton, VA, we were allowed to use the Langley Air Force shooting range, but NASA never furnished any guns. All guns used by NASA personnel were their own. Of course, I cannot speak for other NASA Centers. I will say that employees at NASA facilities in Huntsville, AL and in Houston, TX were probably more active shooters due to their southern heritage. In those cases, I would suspect they had 'private' shooting clubs that were not sponsored or supported in any way by NASA. In other words, if such a club bought some guns for their recreation, they may have electro-penciled NASA on to those guns.
    It is even possible that a guard force at one of the NASA locations may have owned guns they used for shooting practice. During my time at NASA, our guards were contract employees and not Civil Servants.

Member #
    Liked
    1597 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saintclair View Post
    During my years at NASA in Hampton, VA, we were allowed to use the Langley Air Force shooting range, but NASA never furnished any guns. All guns used by NASA personnel were their own. Of course, I cannot speak for other NASA Centers. I will say that employees at NASA facilities in Huntsville, AL and in Houston, TX were probably more active shooters due to their southern heritage. In those cases, I would suspect they had 'private' shooting clubs that were not sponsored or supported in any way by NASA. In other words, if such a club bought some guns for their recreation, they may have electro-penciled NASA on to those guns.
    It is even possible that a guard force at one of the NASA locations may have owned guns they used for shooting practice. During my time at NASA, our guards were contract employees and not Civil Servants.
    My boys and I are heading to Johnson Space Center this weekend. Anybody I can ask while there?
    Colt-SL likes this.
    "Cowards never lasted long enough to become real
    ." --

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22388 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInTx View Post
    My boys and I are heading to Johnson Space Center this weekend. Anybody I can ask while there?
    My guess is there are probably no active employees at JSC who would recall NASA shooting clubs unless there is an official NASA historian at that facility who may have historical documents about such an activity/club.
    MarkInTx likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22388 times
    A while back, a Colt Forum member had a revolver that had NASA etched on the side. He hoped it may have belonged to an Astronaut. I contacted an acquaintance at NASA Kennedy, Charlie Stevenson, who worked with all of the past Astronauts during Gemini, Apollo, etc. and he said he did not recall any Astronaut ever having a gun on NASA property.
    stan3, Rick Bowles and MarkInTx like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links