Colt .22 Conversion Unit, what "other" magazines work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Colt .22 Conversion Unit, what "other" magazines work.

Member #
    Liked
    4009 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc00 View Post
    How did you change the follower on the 1970’s magazine? Do you have to drive out the two pins on the bottom of the magazine?
    Yes, once you drive out the pins, you can lift out the floorplate and the magazine spring will come out. You can then remove the follower that is retained in the magazine body by the thumb button. If you are doing this, I suggest you drive the pins out with the magazine in a bag so the pins don't disappear and remember the floorplate is under spring pressure, so it will come off pretty quick once the last pin is out.
    stan3 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc00 View Post
    How did you change the follower on the 1970’s magazine? Do you have to drive out the two pins on the bottom of the magazine?
    jimc00,

IIRC, late(r) 1970s COLT Conversion Unit magazines should have a base like/similar to picture 1. You push in on the button until it clears the stamped metal base and slide the base off the mag. This mag has a plastic follower.

And, IIRC, the mag in picture 2 came with some of the 1st reintroduced Service Model ACE Pistols starting at Serial Number S.M. 14001 in 1978.? It should have pins and it (IIRC) was started in 1946 with the COLT Conversion Units.? (It also has a Pot Metal Base and Follower.)

Pictures 3 and 4 show the removable pin(s) in a early two-tone S.M. ACE mag.

Best Regards,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stan3; 10-16-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    824tsv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    My ACE conversion unit dates to 1978 according to the paperwork I got with it. Wish I had bought a new one back in the day. Below it is on a GCNM bottom.

I was also into conversion units. I bought a couple of Cieners back in the early 2000s when Brownells was selling them. They are both the "Platinum Cup" versions and one is a 5 inch and the other a 4.25 inch "Commander" model. Then I bought a Kimber unit from Kimber back about 2003 or so to go with a Kimber Target Elite II purchased in 2002. Sold the Target Elite II but the new owner did not want the conversion unit so still have it and now with two mags. The second Kimber mag was purchased through Brownells. Then in the summer of 2004 I bought a Marvel unit from Marvel. Now it has an all metal mag with the removable base plate with one pin in the bottom. Now except for the Colt none of the above conversion units is supposed to hold the slide back when empty. And then a couple years ago I bought an Advantage Arms 22 conversion unit which is supposed to hold the slide back.

And of course I bought aftermarket mags. Having read old posts on other forums I bought a GSG-1911 mag from Brownells and I bought a Brownells 22 mag which is supposed to work in various conversion units although they do not say Colt or ACE in their list.

So I found three things happen when I try the 22 mags I have in the ACE unit I have.
    1. It feeds rounds fine and locks the slide back after the last round is fired.
    2. It feeds rounds fine but will not lock the slide back after the last round.
    3. It will not even lock into the pistol, or if one locks the slide back the mag will lock in but the slide will not go all the way forward into battery.

So the results are.
    1. The Colt mag that came with the ACE unit and another used one I picked up at a gun show work fine.
    2. The GSG-1911 mag and the Marvel mag work fine but will not lock the slide back after the last round. The Marvel mag has Colt 22LR on the bottom by the way.
    3. The Cieners, The Kimbers, The aftermarket Brownells, and the Advantage Arms mags will not go in or if one locks the slide back they may go in but then the slide will not be able to close fully.

But, as with the Colt ACE, I know the details of various conversion units changed over time, so somebody else may have different results. I bought the Brownells units as they said they would work with Ciener and it is on the list of units they work with on the package. They did not work with my Cieners and maybe within the last year I noted Brownells mentions they WILL NOT WORK WITH CIENER and I think it was in caps on their web page when I looked at it.
    824tsv, stan3 and dkay62 like this.
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4307 times
    Apparently Wilson Combat as well as Marvel used the Colt later style magazine. I remember back a few years ago when I got my Colt Conversion Unit the magazines were still available. Well the one I bought was a Colt (probably Metalform) and I could not get it to work. Reading all the reviews of suppliers and or users of these magazines, lots of complaints. The biggest complaint was the price.
    stan3 likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    4009 times
    Thanks dakota,
    You saved me from buying a Kimber magazine to try.
    So there you go. Every major 1911 .22 Conversion Unit manufacturers magazine has been tried and it looks like only OEM Colt magazines are the "Best" option with GSG magazines as a "Maybe".
    stan3 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3114 times
    These All "work great and last a long time" (for pre and post war COLT Service Model ACE Pistols and Conversion Units [Not the ACE II]).

Top and left circa 1935/1938. Bottom and right to mid/late 1970s. (Bottom two have Pot Metal bases and followers.)

(How many different versions of the COLT Stamped Steel removal bases Magazines are there [1970s up to 1995 COLT C.U. and maybe the 1998 ACE II C.U.])?

Last edited by stan3; 10-18-2019 at 01:11 AM.
    824tsv and sturmgewehr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4009 times
    Great pic's Stan as always!

My research shows 4 removable baseplate magazines. (We really need "that" book to be published!!)
    -Removable base plate magazine with "COLT .22 L.R." (No Rampant Colt logo) used from late 1979 to late 1981
    -Removable base plate magazine with "COLT" (over) .22 L.R. with the Rampant Colt logo on the left side and a solid take down button
    -Removable base plate magazine with "COLT" (over) .22 L.R. with the Rampant Colt logo on the left side and a solid take down button with a "P" stamped to the left of the Rampant Colt logo (Forum member flintsghost had some information on these in a thread but I cant find it)
    -Removable base plate magazine with "COLT" (over) .22 L.R. with the Rampant Colt logo on the left side and a open (hollow) take down button. These were used on the Colt ACE II (No floating chamber) Conversion Units, 1998
    Click on pic's for a larger view:

IMG_2248.jpgColt conv. & 1911-22 mag differences 025.JPGColt Ace II Conversion Unit barrel:magazine.jpg
    Last edited by 824tsv; 10-18-2019 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
    stan3 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3114 times
    Here's the mag in the Rare (about 235-250 units) 1995 (all steel) COLT Series 80 .22 C.U. It has the shelf on the plastic follower to hold the slide open when the mag is empty. (The left side Roll Stamp is different on the 1995 Series 80 .22 C.U. from the 1984/5 Series 80 .22 C.U.)

824tsv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 824tsv View Post
    Thanks dakota,
    You saved me from buying a Kimber magazine to try.
    So there you go. Every major 1911 .22 Conversion Unit manufacturers magazine has been tried and it looks like only OEM Colt magazines are the "Best" option with GSG magazines as a "Maybe".
    I bought 1 (and after some use) bought 4 more GSG magazines. After a little help from the guys on the Forum I realized that my Conversion slide was hanging up on the back of the mag and not allowing the slide to completed go into battery. After a little filing down of the back edges of the sides all magazines work perfectly and lock back every time. The mags have gone through 1500 rounds of Aguilla plated lr with only three misfires which were due to the ammo not the gun.

Thanks again to all who helped me find a less expensive fix to my magazine issues.
    rmc
    824tsv, stan3 and Muley Gil like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links