1938 Woodsman Match Target...hard to release magazine!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1938 Woodsman Match Target...hard to release magazine!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

1938 Woodsman Match Target...hard to release magazine!

Howdy! I just recently inherited my grandfathers 1938 Woodsman Match Target .22 He used this in matches, and won many many medals! Now it is mine so I am learning about it. My only problem at this time is that it is VERY HARD to release the magazine!! I see the catch in there with grooves to push forward (to the right) to release. But I cannot seem to dig out the magazine without some tool to reach in there and pull it. I hate to think this is the only way i can get it out! Is there some way to help this? We did grease it with gun oil already. Is there a recommended tool? Please help! I want to enjoy this gun! I love shooting it so far.. I have 2 magazines for it. Not sure if they are both made for this gun or not.
    Thanks for any help/advice!
    Jennifer

20191027_105755_2.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    10188 times
    You push the magazine catch to the rear...

Stick your finger in the well, and push the little serrated rectangle towards the heel of your hand- it should drop free.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Welcome to the forum, Their are some members on this forum with so much knowledge about these colts it just blows me away! They will be here soon. I’M sure they will want to see better photos of both mags, and all around the pistol.. try to get very clear photos. I think the mag in your post may be incorrect but can’t really tell from your photo? You are one lucky Gal to receive that MT.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    First, Welcome to the Forum.

Your grandfathers 1st Series "Bullseye" Match Target is equipped with aftermarket stocks looking like Herrett's. Their design closer seals the bottom of the magazine well making them less desirable for proper magazine retraction.
    The Magazine as shown is a 1st Series yet most probably Not base plate marked "Match Target" which matter not as it will function fine in your Woodsman.
    To start, I would remove the stocks and see if the magazines function more properly by themselves as I would suspect a bind with the interior wood of the aftermarket stocks.
    Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 11-03-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    824tsv, stan3 and Jackson like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Indianapolis, IN & beautiful Lake Cumberland, KY
    Liked
    2529 times
    For what it's worth, I have the same problem, and my Woodsman & magazine are all original. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllis1 View Post
    For what it's worth, I have the same problem, and my Woodsman & magazine are all original. I think it's the nature of the beast.
    Not right or acceptable for a Factory original Woodsman to not perform as designed. Slight adjustments can make all the difference.

Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 10-29-2019 at 09:17 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Thanks Prewoodsman! I will check that. If it IS the stocks binding... is there a way to make it work better? Maybe take off a little wood where it is binding with a pocket knife?

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phyllis1 View Post
    Yeah that really sucks because I love to shoot it! I need to find something to help release it, like a little hook.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by prewoodsman View Post
    Not right or acceptable for a Factory original Woodsman to not perform as designed. Slight adjustments can make all the difference.

Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Yes I agree. I need to find a way to correct it. Prewoodsman pointed out that the stocks are not factory.. so maybe they are impeding on the release..

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1020 times
    Jennifer,
    An excellent source of Woodsman information can be viewed on Bob Rayburn's most excellent website at:
    www.colt22.com

You will note the differences of the basic 1st series Target and Sport Magazines verse the 1st Series "Bullseye" Match Target magazine.
    Further you will note the two different standard supplied Elephant Ear Wood or Military Hard Plastic grip stocks. In looking you will clearly see your Herrett's stocks have a closed front strap design which blocks ones finger from assisting the removal of the magazine.

To explore the various option available always feel free to contact me direct via the gmail address listed below.
    Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 11-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    824tsv likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links