1993 M1991A1 Officers ACP Compact Series 80
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1993 M1991A1 Officers ACP Compact Series 80

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Exclamation 1993 M1991A1 Officers ACP Compact Series 80

I recently purchased a M1991A1 Officers ACP Compact Series 80. It does not appear to have been shot all that much. All internals are as new with no signs of wear or damage. Now to my question. The previous owner installed a Wilson Combat reverse plug, single spring and full length guide rod. Any comments on the Wilson Combat setup. Is it reliable? If I decided to change it out do you have recommendations for replacement parts. Is it possible to change to a conventional 1911 plug, spring and short guide rod. By the way the barrel is 3 1/2 in in length and has the OEM barrel bushing. Thanks for any advise.
    Geezer Ranger

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8078 times
    Some people don't like having to alter the slide to install a long guide rod.
    For that, an excellent system to allow using a standard recoil spring and barrel bushing is the Clark Custom reverse plug....

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/...-reverse-plug/

This requires no modifications to the gun, and eliminates any chance of the tab on the recoil spring plug from breaking.
    There was at least some history of the stock plug shearing off the lug and shooting the recoil spring and plug out.
    This wasn't as prevalent as the internet would have you believe but it did happen.

If the Wilson unit required modifying the slide, then you can simply find a reverse plug without the hole and use a standard recoil spring and short Officer's recoil spring guide.
    In fact, other then the hole in the plug looking odd you could just use the plug you have.
    You do need to determine if the slide was modified for the Wilson plug.
    Installation of most reverse plugs required filing off some metal from the rear of the slide's recoil spring tunnel.
    If the slide's been altered for the Wilson plug, the Clark plug may not fit and can't be used without modifying it, probably by shortening the Clark lug that fits the slot in the slide tunnel.

There are reverse plugs made without a guide rod hole. I think Brownell's sell these, and so does Fusion Firearms.....

https://fusionfirearms.com/fusion-of...-plug-end-caps

Wilson has an excellent reputation for their aftermarket accessory parts so I'd assume the Wilson guide rod Officer's system is good to go.
    The actual question is how YOUR specific Officer's Model functions, and that's simply a matter of verifying reliability by shooting what you consider enough of the actual ammo you intend to use in it to verify reliability.
    If that's 100 rounds then shoot 100 rounds through a clean gun and magazines to verify that there's no problem with reliable operation.
    If it's reliable you don't really need to change anything unless you just want to go back to the original system.

To change back the the original Colt factory spring set up, the double Colt factory recoil springs are usually replaced with one spring that equals the factory two spring set up.
    Wolff Gun Springs sells single Officer's springs in various strengths.
    The two Colt springs equaled 22 pounds so you'd buy a single 22 pound Officer's recoil spring.
    For use with defense ammo over 860 fps you can use a single 24 pound spring, but shoot enough of your defense ammo to verify reliability.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 11-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Fortibus55 and SHOOTER13 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times
    A pic of this auto would be nice.....
    "The ruling elite of this society has got to get over their hostility toward religious people and their values." Carl Paladino.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Evolution Gun Works EGW - Officer's 1911 Guide Rod Kit w/ Blue Clark Plug 10503.this is what I used. EZPEEZ. $60 BUCKS ON FLEA BAYIMG_1772.jpgIMG_1770.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Great information. Not having any history or knowledge of the Wilson setup I was unsure of it's long term reliability. Think I will shoot the heck out it and see what happens. By the way, the barrel bushing seems awfully flemsy. Is there a better option.
    Thanks
    Geezer Ranger

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Geezer Ranger

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    A few years ago I found a used Compact made in 2000 which is just like the Officers ACP. Someone had put in an aftermarket long trigger but it was rough on the front. I fit a long Cylinder and Slide trigger. Below is when I had it apart to fit the new trigger. Note is has an aftermarket Wolff spring which is smaller on one end to fit the small guide rod.

I also put on some stocks I bought from Altamont. Here it is with my 1985 Officers ACP which I found with the box and papers. I was able to find several sets of the dual springs on Ebay as I want to keep it original.

I did get a EGW recoil setup I may put in down the road. below with the double stock springs. Right now I bought a couple extra Wolff springs that are larger on one end so I will probably use them up first.

When I field strip these I pop the entire top end off the pistol so I do not turn the recoil spring plug. I have always wondered if that is a reason a lot of them broke; somebody was cranking on the screw driver but had not pushed the plug back far enough.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    8078 times
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    By the way, the barrel bushing seems awfully flemsy. Is there a better option.
    Thanks
    There's not much stress on the barrel bushing because most of it's in the recoil spring guide.
    I've never heard of a broken Officer's bushing unless the plug broke first.

I "think" I may have seen a beefed up Officer's bushing but I'm not sure when or where.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    881 times
    I kept my Enhanced Lightweight Officers Model totally stock. Managed to find extra factory bushing, plug and recoil springs (just in case.). This gun is my favorite carry piece..

A4DBB358-DBCB-4A51-ADFE-14CA24516332.jpg 013AC40C-F406-4521-8727-3E1A5C6101FD.jpg
    Last edited by saemetric; 11-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If it continues to shoot as well and accurately as it is now it could easily become my favorite carry pistol.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Geezer Ranger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links