Colt national match question??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Colt national match question??

Member #
    Liked
    15815 times
    Flint, I gave you a BIG like cause that's a bunch of typing!
    bearcat6 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
    Flint, I gave you a BIG like cause that's a bunch of typing!
    Thank you Rick, that just struck a cord because it is one of my "pet peeves."
    Rick Bowles likes this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    1574 times
    Sorry to ruffle feathers. I have been shooting 1911s for almost 60 years. Not THAT old as I started when I was 9. Owned well over 1,000 1911s but not all Colts.

I think what prompted my statement was back in the 70s friends of mine were cutting down 30-06 (or was it 308) rifle cases and working on making a 45 ACP magnum or whatever. Guys like this probably gave us the 451 Detonics and the 45 Super. I did see a number of 1911s damaged.

When I see what looks like a "franken colt" with what I think is a lightened slide I would tend to worry myself about the history and insides of the pistol.

I will admit ignorance of the IPSAC or whatever. In the late 70s a friend dragged me into practical police pistol I think it was called. I had been shooting bullseye in prep school and college. Anyway we couldn't use a pistol as it was revolver only. The old rich farts had Pythons or S&W 27/28s. Us kids had S&W 19s or my dad found me a deal on a Colt Trooper MkIII. Then the belt, the holster, the speed loaders etc. Anyway that so turned me off against the running, jumping, spinning, ducking, gyrating, etc; all to the beeping of a timer, that I had no interest in ever getting near something like that again. So ignorance in that area.

And, for bigger than 45ACP, there is the .460 Rowland conversions on a 1911.
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    492 times
    Dakota1911, I doubt if you saw any "rich farts" at a PPC match since most, but not all, were active LEO's and a few retired LEO's. Real cops never made enough money to be considered rich. The python's did OK but the S&W's were the kings due to the faster action and the ease of barrel changing. The K frame S&W with a bull barrel and a full length Bomar ribbed sight was the king and most of those who went to Nationals and were successful used such a combination. The distinquished match was shot with a 4" duty weapon without much allowed in the way of modifications. PPC is basically bullseye for revolvers with time limits and no alibi's. IPSC is a practical shooting exercise that could be shot with any weapon though people who wanted to compete and win had to use a semi auto and most often shot a 1911 in some guise or other. Nowadays that has degenerated into NRA action shooting and there are shoots or matches that are not NRA action shooting that are held by some one off organization to alledgedly claim as training by a practical shooting group. There is also 3 gun shooting competition etc. But no matter how hard these groups try it is still virtually a professionals game with sponsorships and professional shooters at every level. That's what killed IPSC and led to the NRA taking it over. There are a lot of conversions on a 1911 including those you named which probably started with Dean Grinnells 38-45 conversion and grew from there. None of those are really aplicable to anything except fun and interest for those involved. For my money, if you want more than a .45 ACP delivers in a 1911, I would go to a revolver and I have several for that purpose. For hunting, I prefer a rifle and consider that hunting with a handgun may be fun, but I used to go after animals that I planned to eat and I didn't want them to have me trailing them for miles. My son likes his "Robin Hood" hunts and enjoys it. So be it, but my rifle shoots farther and harder than a arrow will ever go. But I suppose that's why theres chocolate and vanilla. Each to his own.
    Last edited by flintsghost; 11-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links