• 3 Post By colt22dotcom

Thread: Navy marked Colt Woodsman Match Targets

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1978 times

Navy marked Colt Woodsman Match Targets

I get a lot of email from Woodsman owners who have questions about a Woodsman they own. I usually send a very brief (only the facts) reply, but I recently received one that was interesting enough for a detailed response. Exchange follows:

Question received:

I have some questions about a first series Match Target. It appears to be a military gun based on the G. H. D. lightly stamped on the right side, other typical military markings on the left side are not there. What I have not seen before, is that the serial number is on the front of the grip strap (MT14XXX), not on the bottom of the frame at the magazine, and there is no screw hole on the front of the grip strap.

My response:

Congratulations, and thanks for the excellent description. You do have a military gun, one of approximately 4000 made for the US Army and Navy.

Among the 4000 there are some minor differences. The earliest ones still had the screw hole on the grip strap, but it was later omitted since it served no purpose with the plastic grips used with the military contract. Likewise, at or near the same time, the serial number was moved to the front grip strap, as with the other Woodsmans of the same era. I assume yours still has the two-piece plastic grips. If not, excellent originals are readily available. They were at Numrich a few years ago for under $10, but the only ones I have seen lately have been on Ebay for around $100.

Your gun, with G. H. D. stamped on the side, I would expect to have the usual Colt bluing of the era, and either the Ordnance wheel or US PROPERTY on the other side. Sometimes those markings will have been removed by a previous owner who feared that owning something marked US PROPERTY would get him in trouble.

Others with these markings will correctly letter as having been shipped to the US Navy, and I have owned a few of those. Others with the same markings, that letter as being shipped to the Navy, will be Parkerized and have Navy markings. I SUSPECT (but can't prove) that the Navy markings were added later by an unethical dealer to "enhance the collectibility", and the Parkerizing done to disguise the changes.

Bob Rayburn
    Last edited by colt22dotcom; Today at 02:29 PM.
    --

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    2411 times
    Bob, are you able to inspect the gun in person? Also will you be at the November show?
    Jackson likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2264 times
    Thanks for that information Bob, I love it when you and other forum members share their knowledge !

Craig
    Jackson likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1273 times
    You are the Man, Bob - The Colt WoodsMAN! Jackson
    Rick Bowles and 68python like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smutt View Post
    Bob, are you able to inspect the gun in person? Also will you be at the November show?
    I don't know who or where the owner is, so not likely that I will be able to see the owner in person.

I will be at the November Puyallup show, probably with a table covered with vintage Woodsman holsters, parts, etc.
    --

Member #
    Liked
    15447 times
    Thanks Bob. I learned something today.
    colt03 and 68python like this.

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1978 times
    Great! I love it when I can tell you something that you didn't know before.
    colt03, Rick Bowles and 68python like this.
    --

Member #
    Liked
    15447 times
    Quote Originally Posted by colt22dotcom View Post
    Great! I love it when I can tell you something that you didn't know before.
    That's the great thing about our forum. None of us knows it all but collectively all of us know most!

NRA Endowment Life Member
    CCA Member

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links