Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By snakeman99
  • 1 Post By Walter Rego

Thread: saw a fat bbl

Member #
    Liked
    540 times

saw a fat bbl

Saw a 38 super fat barrel colt at gunshow. About 92%, just blue wear on the high points. Didn't get serial number or pics (dummy).

I let it go since I did not know the market for these. What is the range these trade in?

Charlie

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5510 times
    The approximately range of "Fat Barrel" Super .38 production was from 1947 through most of 1955. I would estimate a complete and original 92% condition gun of that era to bring at least $2000...
    Last edited by snakeman99; 11-13-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Colt-SL and WVCOLT like this.
    "Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop"
    Gus McCrae, Lonesome Dove...

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    I sold a 1948 example on Gunbroker two years ago. Had the fat barrel and leftover GI stocks.

It was hideous, with much bluing loss on one side and mild to moderate pitting on the slide (poor storage and aggressive cleaning). With full disclosure and many good pictures, it still had over 30 bids and brought $1,800. Not entirely surprising. I was expecting at least $1,500.

Looking back, I wish I had kept it. Not many of these guns could be used as shooters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    I bought this 1948 Fat Barrel Super .38 a couple of years ago. The original WWII surplus plastic stocks were long gone so I installed a set of Herretts fully checkered walnut stocks. I paid $3800 out the door which is high (like everything in California), but it was from a local shop and included 7.75% tax and the $35 DROS fee. They are scarce in SouCal and the new production Colt Super .38's are not on the approved roster. Those guns, which can be bought in free states for around $800 sell for $2000-$2500 when they somehow become available through private party sales.

If I hadn't made a windfall profit on an AG42b Ljungmann rifle from my collection I wouldn't have thought of dropping $3800 on the Super .38 but I have always wanted one so figured out a way to make it less painful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fortibus55 likes this.

Sponsored Links