• 1 Post By thecoltguy

Thread: Maurice Ottmar Woodsman stocks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    301 times

Maurice Ottmar Woodsman stocks

Here are a couple of pictures of a pair of stocks made by (the late) Maurice Ottmar to fit a Colt Woodsman. NIB and never put on a pistol. The shipping label on the box is dated May 1992. I got them probably 10-15 years ago. They are not for sale but I would like to know a value if you care to guess. I think they're really pretty. Exquisite work. Thanks, Joe

DSC05842.jpgDSC05843.jpg
    A wise collector once told me that you never pay too much, it's just that you may buy a little early.
    (credit to thecoltguy)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    No idea, but they shouldn’t be cheap if verifiable. Absolute minimum $500 and that would probably be a gift to be completely honest. I didn’t even know who he was till just then and I’d gladly pay that! That’s a very skilled grip/stock maker .

i assume they are 3rd series grips? This makes a difference as typically most wont pay more for grips than the gun is worth they go on. Exceptions to every rule of course but this is a “typical” statement. One reason N frame smith grips (probably the 2nd most common Ropers ever made) are king of the roost in the Roper world “typically”.
    Last edited by big_gus; 11-19-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    I don't know much about those grips. but I would be surprised if they brought over 250-300 for the right buyer,

Craig
    NRA Life Member
    Colt Collectors Association
    CCDL Member
    Colt Woodsman Collector

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2696 times
    I think bigG is right 500 minimum.
    Every King gun deserves a set of Ropers!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1024 times
    I think the stocks in question are compatible with the 2nd Series Woodman and worth what one is willing to pay.
    Regards,
    Tom Platt
    Last edited by prewoodsman; 11-19-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Jackson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    I think they are for a 2nd series, I saw the cut on the one but didn’t think about it when none on the front panel. Wouldn’t need one tho. Being 2nd series hurts them some imo as it limits the buyers pool I believe. Best case scenario was for a 1st, but Still a fantastic set of grips and well worth $500 imo. If you ever want to sell them, I’m definitely a buyer at that. Of course I’d want pics of box and inside grips (I’ve had way too many “surprises”), but I’m confident there wouldn’t be any issues here. Just to be 100% honest, I’d buy them for $500 but I wouldn’t sell them for $500 with all you stated . In 22 autos I’m a High standard 102-104 man. If they were for a slant grip model HS, you have me in a bad spot .
    Last edited by big_gus; 11-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit such crimes... such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants: they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria
    NRA Endowment Life Member

The Consummate Collector

Member #
    Liked
    18160 times
    Maurice was a good rifle stock maker years ago.
    ei8ht likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links