Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine
  • 1 Post By krag96

Thread: Series 70 Gold Cup Trophy in 38 Super

Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Series 70 Gold Cup Trophy in 38 Super

What ammo do you like for target shooting in your Gold Cup in .38 Super?

Bob
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
    Sag Harbor & Manhattan, New York

Member #
    Liked
    12467 times
    How 'bout some pics Bob !?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NRA Life Member since 1977...

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I am picking it up next Wednesday and will post some pictures then. I want to order some ammo in advance so I can feed it right from the start.

Bob

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    I'm a very long time Super 38 shooter and reloader, mostly Colts but some others too. Factory ammo that works well for me in Colt, Kimber and STI Supers is the Geco 124 ball. Functions 100% in my Supers, and is not loaded down like some factory 38 Super ammo seems to be nowadays. The GECO cases were later used for reloading without issue. I've also used Federal, Remington, CorBon, Underwood, Armscor, and probably some others I'm not recalling at the moment. The Colt did not feed the Underwood JHP well. Not so crazy about the current Winchester flat nosed ball and Armscor.....ymmv

ETA, Just recalled I used some SIG V-Crown 125 JHP in the Supers too. This factory JHP fed fine in he Colt.
    Last edited by rock185; 11-30-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I ordered some of the Geco, which was the only ammo TargetSportsUSA had that was not +P. Is there any issue using +P in a Gold Cup?

Bob

Member #
    Liked
    7459 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I ordered some of the Geco, which was the only ammo TargetSportsUSA had that was not +P. Is there any issue using +P in a Gold Cup?

Bob
    I hope you didn’t order a bunch of that...Your gun is rated for +P..Try several different manufacturers before settling in on the brand you want...I have used the Sig 124 grain FMJ with excellent results in all of my Colt .38 Supers. I have also ran many of the US MADE ammo mentioned above...I stay away from Magtech...
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    1594 times
    A good read on 38 Super is at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Super

I bought my Gold Cup Lite in 38 Super a little over a year ago. Below field stripped soon after I got it.

I have had good luck with most of the major brands the LGSs around here stock. One think I have noticed is there is a slight diff. in the diameter of the brands. I found this out playing around with some cylinders from Ruger Blackhawks in 357 mag (or 38 Special of course). Some of the brands just dropped in where others did not. The blue cylinder is from one made about 2002 or so and the SS one is from about 2017. And I did try each round in every hole so Ruger was milling all 6 holes the same size. Of course it would sort of be "end of the world" to use 38 Super in a SA revolver.

Anyway the Magtech just dropped in as did the Armscor. The Federal and Remington were the biggest. Again I did not force any round. Of course if one reloads EGW and others sell undersize sizing dies for 38 Super (and 10mm, 9mm, etc, etc.). Anyway just something to think about if your pistol has a tight chamber. Now the Gold Cup Lite is the third Colt in 38 Super I have bought and all the ammo showed seems to work fine in all of them.
    NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2393 times
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...r-loads/326242

Link to an article I found last week. Has some load combinations to try, also "Pet Loads" by Waters is another good source.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    297 times
    Bob, Not to worry about 38 Super ammo marked +P. It has been marked that way by US manufacturers since about 1974, just to differentiate it from the lower pressure 38 ACP ammo. The GECO is probably some of the higher pressure factory ball ammo available, even if GECO doesn't use the +P designation. I hadn't even thought about GECO not using the +P designation till you mentioned it. FWIW it's worth I chronographed the GECO in a Colt, and some other guns. It averaged 1346 FPS in the 5" Colt. Most of the Winchester, Remington and Federal factory ball averaged around hundred FPS less. The Armscor, 200+ FPS less.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links