UPDATE-It Works!-Guidance with 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 Auto / Triple K M23 Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: UPDATE-It Works!-Guidance with 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 Auto / Triple K M23 Magazine

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Echo the “Iffy” moniker when speaking of Triple K mags, my experience with several different firearms found most would not function properly when new, some work after modifications and I have had one blow the floor plate and internals including cartridges onto my foot while firing. It is worth spending $40 and crossed fingers in the hope you get one that works. Some of the mag sellers on eBay and gunbroker do not identify manufacturer and sell triple K.
    sublimert70 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
    Some of the mag sellers on eBay and gunbroker do not identify manufacturer and sell triple K.
    Good point. There are so many 1903 (as a well as other vintage firearm) mags being sold on GunBroker, Fleabay, etc. that are not clearly identified as repos. Shame on them.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    665 times
    Jack, this is my personal opinion, but when you have a classic Colt like the 1903 PH, unless it is a beater, I would never detract from it by putting in an aftermarket mag. Save your money and headaches and start looking for a genuine mag. They don't come up for sale often, but they are out there, and are worth the money. Again, just my opinion; I'm a purist.
    sublimert70 likes this.
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ketch33 View Post
    Jack, this is my personal opinion, but when you have a classic Colt like the 1903 PH, unless it is a beater, I would never detract from it by putting in an aftermarket mag. Save your money and headaches and start looking for a genuine mag. They don't come up for sale often, but they are out there, and are worth the money. Again, just my opinion; I'm a purist.
    Agree completely. The gun has an original magazine so I wanted to get an “extra” one that I would use when I shoot it (not a complete beater but it’s definitely not a safe queen). So, I didn’t want to, if not necessary, spend $250-300 to have a spare mag. However, that may be what I have to do unless 73shovel’s Triple K works for me (it didn’t for him). Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated. Jack
    Last edited by sublimert70; 12-20-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    See post #9 in this thread.
    I did. My original Colt mag is pinned and has CAL .38 Colt printed in two lines. The other two magazines function perfectly. These however, have no markings and are spot-welded on the base. Are Triple K mags marked with their logo? Or is there another manufacturer out there?
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3426 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    I did. My original Colt mag is pinned and has CAL .38 Colt printed in two lines. The other two magazines function perfectly. These however, have no markings and are spot-welded on the base. Are Triple K mags marked with their logo? Or is there another manufacturer out there?
    Triple K's are not marked. You are correct, they are spot-welded. All the .38ACP factory mags, marked and unmarked, have pinned construction. To my knowledge, Triple K is the only company that offers an aftermarket .38ACP magazine.
    usmc69 and sublimert70 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 73shovel View Post
    Triple K's are not marked. You are correct, they are spot-welded. All the .38ACP factory mags, marked and unmarked, have pinned construction. To my knowledge, Triple K is the only company that offers an aftermarket .38ACP magazine.
    Guess, I got lucky and mine work fine.
    73shovel and sublimert70 like this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    I bought Triple K magazines for several guns. They worked on in single stack guns, but I only tried one in a double stack... that one gave me problems... The ones for the Pocket hammer and for the Pocket Hammerless have worked just fine.

As an aside, the people at 3K were very easy to work with and were very helpful.

FWIW

Chuck
    Hoist On High The Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears The Single Star!

'Fear God and Dreadnought!'

Member #
    Liked
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimert70 View Post
    I found a 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 auto at a local gun show this weekend. As a Christmas gift from my wife, it’s safely tucked away in the safe until Christmas morning. So, I haven’t touched it since it’s purchase but I am exploring information and options to keep from going crazy until Christmas morning...

It has a magazine but given the cost of additional original magazines, I am willing to look at reproductions. I found one from Triple K that may work. I contacted Triple K to confirm the compatibility and they say it will work with a 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 auto but I am also checking with the Forum to see what folk’s experience has been. I did a forum search and Triple K magazines are definitely “iffy”, some have had a great experience, others terrible and some have made it work through significant effort. However, the feedback in the search covered a variety of guns and I didn’t see any feedback specific to a pocket hammer 38 auto.

Anyone have guidance with Triple K or experience with other magazines that don’t cost $250-$350 and would fit?

I’m pretty excited for Christmas to get here! Yes, I WILL post pictures once I have it...

Jack
    Thanks to 73shovel I was able to try out a Triple K magazine in my 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 ACP. Well, it didn’t work. The magazine does not engage the magazine release in the gun, it simply slides in and out. The following picture of the Tripe K magazine (on the left) next to my original shows why:

4AC0E372-49AA-4E70-8285-034AD88EEBE1.jpg

You can see the original magazine has a bump that engages the magazine release and it “clicks” in place. So, this Triple K magazine won’t work in a 1903. Jack
    73shovel likes this.

jar

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimert70 View Post
    Thanks to 73shovel I was able to try out a Triple K magazine in my 1903 Pocket Hammer 38 ACP. Well, it didn’t work. The magazine does not engage the magazine release in the gun, it simply slides in and out. The following picture of the Tripe K magazine (on the left) next to my original shows why:

4AC0E372-49AA-4E70-8285-034AD88EEBE1.jpg

You can see the original magazine has a bump that engages the magazine release and it “clicks” in place. So, this Triple K magazine won’t work in a 1903. Jack
    Take them to a local machine shop and I bet they can duplicate the dimple. But also send Triple K a copy of that picture.
    sublimert70 likes this.
    Fore Warned is Fore Armed... Pogo
    Unless it's four worned out guns... Albert

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links