Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .38 AMU Questions/Verifications

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    You may find this of interest:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr.../358461?page=2

This above where I pulled the 1956 info from. So while a bit of a stretch... it may be possible that the pistol I found may have been built during the developement of the AMU program.

Either that... or it's a Frankengun.
    "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    4719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
    Very nice pics. Per chance... did you do a Youtube video on the .38 Gold Cup? I just finished watching one with what looks like the exact pistol in your first 2 pics.

What a beauty!!!
    Thank you for the compliment. The Youtube vid's are courtesy of our own Forum member MrColt45ACP.
    Again, pardon the thread drift. This is what the .38 Special and .45ACP Kit pistols looked like when shipped from Colt. This one is a .38 Special Kit pistol.

qxkj.jpgnmkf.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I wouldn't consider what you are posting, as a drift.

To me... it's all related because this thread is about special Colt pistols... and .38 caliber versions of said pistols.
    "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    At one time Gil Hebard Guns, sold 38 AMU kits to anyone who wanted them. He obtained his kits from Colt and was a Colt distributor and Parts distributor. He specialized in supplying active competitors. The 38AMU kits he sold were for shooters or gunsmiths to build their own guns. Since kits could be built up on frames from anywhere and from any time period, a kit so assembled might appear to be an original AMU pistol but without a provenance it couldn't be proven.
    824tsv likes this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    So I guess this is my point of confusion on the pistol I am looking at.

The first AMU pistols used a .38 Super frame... had an AMU barrel and mag... but said .38 Super on the slide???

The Army modified pistols were done with a kit from Colt... and said what on the slide???

Colt sold numerous numbers of the AMU kits to the aftermarket... and those kits said AMU on the slide.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I probably seem a bit stupid or "thick/dense" by some of my comments and questions. I think I'm starting to get "search" overload... without any concise answers.

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Then there's this thread:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr.../topics/976896

The pics wouldn't load for me... but the description of the front sight doesn't seem correct.

"The front sight is taller than the usual item on 45 ACP NMs."

He doesn't even mention that the front sight extends past the slide. Yes I know its sold.

Member #
    Liked
    4719 times
    The original 30 Colt AMU pistols sent to the Army Marksmanship Unit on June 30th, 1961 had .38 Super frames with .38 Super serial#s, but had .38AMU marked slides. These pistols were shipped with a unfitted barrel/bushing. Magazines were stamped .38AMU and were made from modified .38 Super magazines.-Bill Jenkins, U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols.

Member #
    Liked
    4719 times
    "The front sight is taller than the usual item on 45 ACP NMs."

The front sight is very similar to mine pictured on my Colt .38 Special Kit pistol but mine is undercut. The 1911Forum pistol is not undercut.

Member #
    Liked
    4719 times
    The .38AMU Kits consisted of 13 parts:
    -A slide without sights roll stamped COLT, .38AMU, AUTOMATIC
    -Barrel-link-link pin-barrel bushing. Barrel marked COLT .38AMU
    -Recoil spring-firing pin-firing pin spring-firing pin retainer modified to clear the .38AMU ejector
    -Ejector-extractor-magazine
    from Bill Jenkins, U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links