.38 AMU Questions/Verifications
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .38 AMU Questions/Verifications

Member #
    Liked
    127 times

.38 AMU Questions/Verifications

From my understanding the AMU program started in 1956.

Is it possible that some were made earlier?

I found a specimen with a legit .38 Super frame and proper, (unmodified), Colt markings on the slide and barrel... but the frame dates to 1953. Any knowledge would be helpful. Thanks.
    "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    4704 times
    In 1960 Colt shipped the first .38AMU pistols to the Army Marksmanship Unit. There were 30 in this order. All were on .38 Super serial#d frames. These were the only complete pistols shipped to the AMU. All subsequent AMU pistols were "Kits" shipped without frames. There have been other shipments of complete pistols, but all are after 1961 till about mid 1962. My information is that there were about 100 .38 AMU pistols produced. I would think that your's is a "Kit" and was added to the frame.
    Kerz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Thanks for your reply.

Only one problem though. The "kits" had the .38 AMU designation on the slide... from my brief research.

The specimen I am looking at... does not designate .38 AMU on the slide... but as I said previously... "has the proper Colt markings".

The frame serializes to .38 Super as it should... so at this point I am trying to determine if this was an Army modified version, reusing an earlier frame...

or an "odd bird" early AMU pistol...

or a "bubba" built scam gun that is being passed off as an AMU.

The only AMU designation I see on the pistol... is on the barrel hood... where it should be located.

The pistol looks correct... but the 1953 serialization is what's throwing me off.
    Not alot good info on these on the internet, (that I have found) , through some quick internet research.

Even the Standard Colt Catalog is extremely lacking... only saying that Army modified pistols are a 70% deduct.

If that's the case... then the pistol is way overpriced for condition.
    Last edited by Reamer; 12-29-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    I will also add... that it has the correct AMU sights... not that that means anything.

Member #
    Liked
    4704 times
    Bullseye pistols and .22 Conversion Units are my main interest but I'm certainly no expert on either, just an enthusiast. The information I posted was from the book U.S. Military Match & Marksmanship Automatic Pistols by Bill Jenkins.
    Kerz likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Yeah... through some previous research, I had read what you posted. I had also read a few posts on this forum. That's where I came up with the 1956 date... IIRC. It's all starting to run together now. 😞

Member #
    Liked
    4704 times
    I'll only add that here is a .38AMU Kit on a WWII Remington Rand frame. Unfortunately its been converted to .38 Special.

https://joesalter.ca/products/colt-1...with-amu-slide

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Yeah... that Salter gun is not correct. Colt did make a 1911 in .38 Special also... IIRC... using "mid range match" ammo.

Gold Cup Mk III National Match... from '61-'74. (had to look it up)

A '43 frame would not have the stippling on front strap. If you noticed also... the frame has been radiused.

Converting the AMU to .38 special was a popular conversion a ways back... easy to do... and done by a few well know gunsmiths.

Member #
    Liked
    4704 times
    Sorry for the slight thread drift, but a correction is in order and it's not meant to be rude or demeaning. I still hope you receive the information you are looking for and I would find very interesting.

I'm familiar with Colt's .38 Special Kit pistols and their Gold Cup National Match .38 Mid Range pistols. Colt used "MKIII" on a barrel revision to the GC Nat Match .38 Mid Range pistols, however the pistols themselves were never called that.
    I also keep a data base on the Kit pistols and GCNM .38 Mid Range pistols in case you ever need any info as far as features/shipping dates etc etc. These 2 are mine:

IMG_0696.jpgIMG_0692.jpgIMG_1217.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Very nice pics. Per chance... did you do a Youtube video on the .38 Gold Cup? I just finished watching one with what looks like the exact pistol in your first 2 pics.

What a beauty!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links