Rolling Your Own................
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Rolling Your Own................

Member #
    Liked
    446 times

Rolling Your Own................

I have a friend who is thinking of building an M1911 for himself. He mentioned he may want to do the same for his sons and grandsons. I know assmebling an M1911 isn't all that hard, if you are handy with tools. (I built several many years ago). My question is how many can you assemble without a license?
    krag96 and ei8ht like this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    522 times
    As many as you want. The lower receiver is serialed and you will have to obtain it through an FFL. When you do that the Federal Tax is already paid.
    Kerz, krag96, Culture and 1 others like this.
    The reason I carry a .45 is, Colt Don't make a .46

Member #
    Liked
    389 times
    Depends on what he means on "building" a 1911. You can buy a frame that is only ~80% finish and has no serial number. If I understand it correctly you cannot give or bequeath to anyone.
    ei8ht likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    Depends on what he means on "building" a 1911. You can buy a frame that is only ~80% finish and has no serial number. If I understand it correctly you cannot give or bequeath to anyone.

He will want finished frames. He can't just have one as all the kids and grandkids will want one of his.
    ei8ht likes this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Having done this within the last couple of years I have found it is cheaper to buy an inexpensive gun like an ATI and trick it out. I bought a slide and sites off the Ruger forum and found a Springfield Armory frame on GB. Bought an Ed Brown barrel/bushing set from Brownells and a few other items. The gun shot great, wasnt much to look at, but I had around $800 +/- in it.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Having done this within the last couple of years I have found it is cheaper to buy an inexpensive gun like an ATI and trick it out. I bought a slide and sites off the Ruger forum and found a Springfield Armory frame on GB. Bought an Ed Brown barrel/bushing set from Brownells and a few other items. The gun shot great, wasnt much to look at, but I had around $800 +/- in it.
    Glad I did this about 30 years ago. I could buy a new Caspian Frame for $75.00, I picked up some used Series 70 Colt Slides for about the same. Barrels were about $50.00. IIRC I could get most of the rest of the parts for less than $100.00.
    Tomray and ei8ht like this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    4603 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Glad I did this about 30 years ago. I could buy a new Caspian Frame for $75.00, I picked up some used Series 70 Colt Slides for about the same. Barrels were about $50.00. IIRC I could get most of the rest of the parts for less than $100.00.
    Even then it wasn't really cost effective compared to buying a whole pistol. A homemade 1911 isn't worth the price of the parts once you're finished, but on the other hand you can put together what you want and if you keep it is your baby.

I put together a nice target pistol using the Essex enhanced frame and slide but was forced to sell it.

Now I did put my Colt Conversion Unit on top of a Caspian frame and this worked out quite well.

These frames were recommended by Frank Glenn in a thread in the Colt Smithing Forum:
    Welcome to JEM GUNS LLC - Redefining Match Grade
    usmc69 and ei8ht like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    974 times
    Yeah I made a bet with a buddy of mine that I could build a gun for under a grand that would shoot as good as his Wilson's. It did. Didnt look as nice but dang it shot.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Curtis M Brier, CPA, CIA, CFE

Amat Victoria Curam

Never buy a gun you'll have to make excuses for later

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhwind View Post
    Even then it wasn't really cost effective compared to buying a whole pistol. A homemade 1911 isn't worth the price of the parts once you're finished, but on the other hand you can put together what you want and if you keep it is your baby.

I put together a nice target pistol using the Essex enhanced frame and slide but was forced to sell it.

Now I did put my Colt Conversion Unit on top of a Caspian frame and this worked out quite well.

These frames were recommended by Frank Glenn in a thread in the Colt Smithing Forum:
    Welcome to JEM GUNS LLC - Redefining Match Grade
    Back in the Day of building my own, I was actually buying Colt Series 70 Government Models in Nickle for $200.00 from the local PD in Calif. They had made a deal with the local dealer to replace their Series 70's with Series 80's. He was giving them a $200.00 trade in credit on them. However, the officers were allowed to buy their guns and give me the cash for them. I bought about 15 of them.

I used a couple of Essex Frames back then, but prefered Colt or Caspian Frames.
    ei8ht likes this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Member #
    Liked
    446 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
    Yeah I made a bet with a buddy of mine that I could build a gun for under a grand that would shoot as good as his Wilson's. It did. Didnt look as nice but dang it shot.
    It can be done. It is not as hard as the custom gunsmith's would have the average buyer believe.
    ei8ht likes this.
    USMC(RET.) 1969-1993

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links